Me and my monster.........

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Terry, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Member

Ok
    I got a muhle R41 a few days ago.
    I am in the middle of a blade search for my razorock slant. I decided to break form and try my new razor for the first time.
    How did it go?

Van Der Hagan blade, Henry Cavendish Himalaya Shaving Soap, I cold water shave and distilled water for foam.

There was no blood, none at all.
    Slight irritation on lower left neck but nothing a little nivea couldn't take care of.

Closest two pass shave I ever had bar none.
    IIIIIII LIKE IT!!!:happy093:

I GIVE IT A 10+1
    tp

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Nice. Just wait until you start using better blades and soaps. You'll be dancing in the street.

Jim99 likes this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s great to hear!

If you like it with VDH blades, there’s a good chance you’ll love it with some highly rated blades.

4. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Great to hear Terry. Is a light touch all you need with the R41 or is there other technique issues required? I'm tempted to get one.

5. Terry

Terry Member

Don't really know. I figured out that I "ride the cap" so to speak, just the other day while reading on line. Only I don't use any presure, none. I taught myself from the start to use only angle, breaking away from the plastic scraping I onced used with disposables.
    Started on a Murker MK 23c, a very, very mild razor I now use to shave my head every other day. Using the angle instead of the preasure to do the job, from day one.
    It's MHO that the reason I got some issues this morning is bad angle, at the end or sloppy work on my part.
    tp

Keithmax, john zeiger and Jim99 like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord Staff Member

The Muhle R41 is one of those razors where the results are defined by the type of blade used. It can be completely unforgiving in terms of harshness and reveal any deficiencies in both blade and technique.
    I don’t own a newer (milder) version (2013-today) any longer and so use the more aggressive 2011 model. Through much trial & error, I’ve settled on the Feather Stainless as the right blade of choice for my DE shaving excursions. YMMV. :happy088:

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Oh and it definitely will...:shaver

john zeiger likes this.
  8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you much for your reply.

9. Simon Smailus

Simon Smailus Well-Known Member

I've had the R41 for a couple of years and it is my main razor. Every razor I try or purchase gets compared to it. It has spoiled me for other razors as it gives such a close shave. It does require your attention though!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  10. Terry

Terry Member

Used the Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant this morning, it arrived yesterday. Cold shave, Van Der Hagen blade, Proraso red, no blood. It compares to the Muhle 41 for a close shave, but yet different in someways.

Will be trying it for a DD after the 41 run.
    IMO
    Really can't go wrong with the Phoenix slant for a really close shave.

Back to the 37 till ......
    tp