Me, myself and the Veg.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by tuxxdk, Feb 3, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The more I read about this stuff, the less I want to try it.

battle.munky likes this.
  2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

You have to try it. You are a wet shaver, like it or not. You must try Cella, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Proraso, various barbershop scents, bay rums, Clubman Original and Lilac Vegetal. I'm pretty sure it's in The Shave Den registration form somewhere. The penalty for not trying The VEG within 2 years of wet shaving is that you must wear nothing but The Veg for the next two years...

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:scared001:NOOOOOOOOOO!

Granted it doesn't carry the designer price tag, but I don't have the disposable I once did. Future purchases are limited to either products I know work for me, or don't have such a polarizing reputation.

Cap7597 and battle.munky like this.
  4. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Savage!

5. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Haha, that's actually what made me want to try it. Something this polarizing is interesting to me.

Spyder, RyX, Cap7597 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

As a Norwegian, I have to stand up for my country and correct you there @richgem. Lutefisk is ours, not the Danes'. That's not to say that Martin @tuxxdk doesn't eat or like it, though. Second, lutefisk really doesn't smell much at all. Rakfisk on the other hand (trout fermented in a salt and sugar solution for weeks)... If the veg is anything near rakfisk, I get a clearer understanding of why it's polarizing. Very much an acquired taste.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I decant all of my AS's to glass hot sauce bottles or other bottles of that type the can be found in the grocery store. A tiny perfume funnel or big syringe will help make the transfer job much easier and less wasteful.:happy088:

Cap7597 and battle.munky like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

Great idea I'm going to give that a try. An original AS label on a repurposed glass bottle STELLAR!!:happy088:

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

what can I say? Martin likes foreign fish. Lol

Halvor likes this.
  10. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Nah, the drip is a steady flow. It only took a minute maybe, it wasn't like making stalactites :)

And the smaller hole pays out plenty but without wasting as much, it is still plenty big to get a few handfuls.

11. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the Veg! Love all the hype and history behind it!

Spyder likes this.
  12. Cap7597

Is there a good thread on decanting AS and cleaning hot sauce bottles?

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Most of the 'history' one reads about the Veg (worn into battle by Hungarian cavalryman and the like) is fictitious. Additionally, 'The Veg' of old isn't the same stuff they're passing off today in plastic bottles. Reformulated (made cheaper!) in order to be make the affordable price-point at chain drug stores.

From the linked article below:
    "Pinaud opened his first shop in Paris in 1830, and in 1833 his “lilac vegetal” product became so popular with the Emperor Napoleon that the ruler had Pinaud appointed “Royal Parfumer,” and the company’s Lilac Vegetal after-shave became the official facial pick-me-up of the Hungarian cavalry. Never mind that Napoleon had died in 1821, and that Napoleon III, while alive at the time, wasn’t in France and didn’t have much of anything to do with Hungary’s cavalrymen. But what can you do? Let truth get in the way of a good story?…"

The Pinaud Story

14. Cap7597

Yeah, I've heard that about Nepolian and that The Duke John Wayne wore it. The Duke might have! But it's cool to hear all the stories.

Should I say Rich in Historical fact and fiction?!? Haha.

I sure would like to try the vintage just to see how it was though!

Spyder likes this.
  15. 178-bplatoon

I don't know of a specific thread. All I do is soak the bottle in hot water with a bit of Dawn, fill it with water cap it and shake it vigorously until it looks clean, scrape/scrub off the glue and label, then rinse and dry well. Then fill the glass bottle with the AS of choice.:)
    Now I will add the step @RyX gave in post #13 and add an original label to the glass bottle.
    Thanks for the great tip @RyX!!:happy088:

RyX likes this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Another thing I picked up. When cleaning old vintage bottles if there is crud that hot water and Dawn won't excise - let the bottle dry. Add large crystal salt & shake. I don't know if the NaCl causes chemical reactions, but the abrasive action will remove residue. And start a collection jar for caps of any size. Some vintage bottles are an odd fit.
    Clean empty bottles.gif

RaZorBurn123 and twhite like this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

Thanks for the salt idea. I already save caps. :happy097:

RyX likes this.
  18. Cap7597

Trying the the glass bottle now. Update soon to come..

19. Cap7597

So I put my clubman in a Texas Pete bottle. That's 12 oz.

[​IMG]

I used this to transfer the golden liquid.

[​IMG]

I removed the label and put it on the glass bottle with a blow dryer. That worked a lot better for me than the microwave method.

It's a little big. Think I'm going to search for something else to put my veg in that's a little smaller. :)

[​IMG]

RaZorBurn123, RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

It's big but it's got a :signs021: shape!

RaZorBurn123 and Cap7597 like this.