Melt & Pour Soap: A Pictorial

Discussion in 'Soapmaking & Lotions' started by Scorpio, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

For some time now I wanted to post a simple pictorial of how to make MP Shaving Soap. I have specific bases that I use to make our soap. For mold I used the cream soap container form a T&H tub. Perfect size. I prepared the bases by cutting them in squares of about 1 inch as shown below.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I then place the cut pieces in the plastic tub
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I then place the tub in the microwave for a 12 second burst. I take the tub out and if needed, usually does, put the tub back in for another 12 seconds. It is important not to heat to the point of boiling the melted soap. Once the soap is melted, remove form microwave and stir ensure all the pieces have melted. If some pieces still in the tub stirring for a few seconds will melt them as shown below.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

It is at this time that scent is added to the mix. Many soapmakers will also add clay at this point. I don't because it is personal preference and the lather from the soap is excellent. Add scent if desired, go light at first until you get the hang of how much to add. I add a few drops of each, for this puck I used Bergamot and Coconut Lime Verbena.

Once the scent is mixed place tub in the freezer for 15 minutes or until the mix hardens. Remove from freezer. Tap the tub on a surface to separate the puck from the tub as shown below.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I then proceeded to my office to test the product. For this procedure I used a Chubby 2. I placed the puck inside the empty tub of T&H. By the way, that is my scuttle or shaving mug in the background. No comments from the peanut gallery please:D I like my scuttle.

[​IMG][/IMG]

After less than 10 swirls, I apologize for the poor quality pics:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

After about 20 swirls
    [​IMG][/IMG]

few seconds later the Chubby 2 is loaded:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

few more swirls and the Chubby 2 is barely visible:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

The Chubby 2 in full bloom after a job well done:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Well there you have it folks. Simple steps to follow. Choose your base wisely and have fun. Enjoy.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Raf

2. -PO-

-PO- New Member

Thanks for the photo's, looks like something I might have to experiment with :D

3. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Where can I get the base for the soap and the scents?

4. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Nice post, thanks!!

I love the scuttle you used. It looks a Victorian style piece.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

There are many soapmakers onlilne suppliers that offer different type of bases with natural ingredients. I can not reveal my base as it is part of an ongoing and successful project. Do a search there are plenty suppliers. There is always a trial period in order to find the base that gives you the best results.

A man with exquisite tastes!! It is a Brandenburg piece in excellent condition with no defects at all. I have seen these pieces priced at around $250 but I payed considerably less for mine as it was an antique shop find. How does $12 sound:D

Raf

6. Aquanin

Aquanin New Member

Cool pics Raf, thanks for posting. I am glad to have used your soaps before and I can say, they are fantastic!!! Super rich dense lather!!

7. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Sounds like a steal to me What's Latin for "let the seller beware"? :D

8. aaronrules

aaronrules New Member

What's the deal with not being able to reveal your soaps you are using? I would love to make my own soap, but alas...I have no idea where to start!

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You simply have to google "soap bases", and you will find plenty of info and websites selling it. Or simply go to any number of craft stores (Michaels, JoAnns, AC Moore) and they should have soap bases.

It's not that Raf can't reveal his bases, he doesn't want to, and doesn't have to. It's part of his "secret recipe".

Raf has provided a good guide on how to make M&P soap. :happy088

10. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

Be aware that the stuff from the craft stores won't be the same quality.

11. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Well, I wanted to look into that as well, but most of the stuff I found didn't come with correct ingredients lists (after INCI) and I have no intention of buying something where I don't EXACTLY know what I get (IE: NO preservatives, no parabens, no chemical surfactants, no AZO-dyes (or any colourants at all).
    Anyone know where I can find a soap base matching that exact description?

12. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

We have spent a considerable amount of money in R&D in order to arrive at the best soap we can offer. Nothing personal, just business. Do a search and you will find a plethora of sites that offer soap bases. And yes it is a "secret recipe".

Raf

13. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Very true advice here. The stuff in the craft stores doesn't come close to the quality of soap bases you can get from a reputable supplier. We've spent enough time and money experimenting with different things to find out that you truly do get what you pay for, even with something as simple as glycerin base.

14. Queen of Blades

That's true. Some of the stuff online isn't good either. I have like 8 lbs. of unusable soap base I bought online. :mad:

The thing is finding the reputable suppliers, and it doesn't seem anyone is coughing those up. :o

15. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I am pretty confident I am not giving any secrets away, as this looks different than the soaps you all showed. I bought some shave soap base off ebay, I have been very happy with it, but with so many soaps on the market, I don't make soaps as often as I should. Plus the EOs can be expensive. I did a search on the ingredients just now to see if they were still selling on ebay, and I found the exact same thing cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.bubblesandbeyond.com/Bases.htm

The shave soap base is about 2/3 down the page. I am sure it is not the best, because I have not done the research that others around here have, but it is a starting point for those interested.
    I used this basic recipe to make mine:
    http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soaprecipes/a/mpshavingsoap.htm

I hope I am not stepping on any toes. Good luck!

16. Queen of Blades

Not at all. Thanks, Rodd!

I think it is more of those of us who make soaps as a business don't wish to share our sources and secrets too much. Just as most businesses don't.

Plus, we all put in a lot of time researching, developing, and testing our products.

:)

17. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

That is totally understandable.

18. soapbuddy

soapbuddy Mistress of Lather

So true JoAnna.
    It took me a couple of years to finally find ingredients that are mostly organic.

19. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

Hey Rodd,

Have you tried the Bubbles and Beyond base? How did you like it?

I found a shaving base on Bramble Berry. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Like others, I'm not trying to fish out any sources. I just would like to be get so feedback on some good ones.

20. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I like it, but I haven't used it much in a while. Too many great soaps on the market to spend my time trying to perfect another. If you are interested in trying it, I am sure I have some sitting around in the basement. I will send some your way for the price of shipping.