melting bar soap to fit mug

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by icemanwbs, Dec 27, 2014.

1. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

Greetings all, I found a bar soap at a Target store "Three Butters Utility Soap". It's a glycerine soap with a few butters in it, i.e.: Shea, cocoa, mango etc. However it's in a bar form and I would like to melt it into a vintage old spice mug. Any suggestions ?

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

My preference is to use a cheese grater. I grate up the soap and when I place it in the mug, I place some very hot water in an let the soap sit and dry out again. Just my preference only.

icemanwbs and Omelmad like this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

If it's a glycerin soap it melts easily in the microwave. I'd just pu the bar in the mug somehow and nuke it for 30 seconds.

icemanwbs likes this.
  4. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Why the water?

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. icemanwbs

Well, I "shaved" the soap with a knife and filled the mug about 1/3. Nuked for 12 second bursts, about 4 total. It softened up , but didn't "liquidity". I then pressed with a spoon and stuck in fridge. I dint add any water so we will see. Bar was only 3.99 so if it fails, no great loss.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

You might do 10 seconds at a time if you decide to melt it. Microwave power varies...

BamaT and icemanwbs like this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

It serves as a gentle heating / melting mechanism and in some soaps it will actually bind in with the soap and make it more efficient in lathering. Vintage Williams is one that really works well in a one to one ratio of grated soap to water. It sucks up the water and makes the soap last much longer.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

DO NOT MICROWAVE AN OLD SPICE MUG!!!!! IT WILL NOT GO WELL AT ALL!!!! (yes, I am shouting that)

9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Steve also confirms why I grate up the soap and pour hot water in an extremely clear and concise fashion! ;)

icemanwbs likes this.
  10. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Good luck with the soap.

icemanwbs and GDCarrington like this.
  11. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Glad you did because I was going to scream the same thing, especially one of the early mugs. Melt it in another vessel and pour it into the OS mug.

12. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I haven't ever found a need to either grate or microwave. I merely soak the puck in water while inside the container. In a couple of days the soap will be soft enough to push down into shape with your thumb.

13. icemanwbs

Glad to report that there was no damage at all. Used 12 second bursts . Soap did soften , but not liquefied. Seams kinda lumpy, was hopeful would have turned out a bit smoother. It did lather up quit nicely and gave a nice smooth shave ! I only used about half the original bar so now I'm going to just steep other half in hot water and try pressing into another mug/bowl.

14. swarden43

If it's lumpy it means you didn't nuke it enough. It may take several bursts. Keep your finger on the STOP button and hit it if the soap starts to boil. If it still isn't completely melted, let it rest 10-15 seconds then hit again.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  15. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

The nuke thing bothers me, and I won't do it anymore.
    It's a bit more trouble, but I'm pretty much a double boiler fan now.
    You have much more control this way, and unless you walk off
    and leave things, you'll never over heat (and ruin) your soap.

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    BigMark, Mr. Shaverman and icemanwbs like this.
  17. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs011: Let me simply agree with everyone else above:

Check with the maker to see if the soap is melt and pour, if it isn't you'll ruin the soap trying to melt it. Either way DON'T boil the soap just melt it. Boiling a melt and pour soap will tend to dissipate the scent.
    As @GDCarrington, @swarden43 and @HoosierTrooper have said "NEVER" use an Old Spice mug or for that matter ANY vintage mug/bowl in a microwave to melt ANYTHING!! ALWAYS melt soap etc. in a separate microwave safe container and then pour into a vintage container. I would also say based on my limited experience that if a soap doesn't get at least semi liquid after 4 /12 sec bursts in the microwave it's NOT a melt and pour soap.

Grating or cutting up a soap first and then mashing the soap into your storage container with or without hot water(I cut my Arko into chunks and then mash it into the container, I also use a bit of hot water to help the soap seat) or soaking the entire puck in hot water for a period of time and then pushing into the bowl are just gentler, albeit a bit messier methods of getting a puck or stick to conform to a particular bowl size or shape. :)

+1 if you have a double boiler!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  18. icemanwbs

Thanks so much ! Being a noob, I find this forum and it's members to be VERY helpful in my new found hobby !

Even though I'm a little embarrassed that thinking this was a "glycerine" soap, ( I saw the word glycerine in the list of ingredients).

Now I'm going to just "press fit" remainder of bar into a mug and use it like was meant. I did like the shave performance I got out of it, even if I'm basically a "croap" shaver at this point !

Thanks again gang !

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  19. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

is it possible to make a 50/50 half glycerin soap and half shaving soap? does anyone know if it will create a good lather?

20. swarden43

Not sure what you're refering to when you say "shaving soap" as most of the shaving soaps I use have glycerin.