Melting Shave Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Kingpepper, May 10, 2007.

1. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

I would like some tips on melting shave soaps in Ziplock bowls. Soon I should be receiving 3 pucks from Lilsuz. Are there soaps that can't be melted (nuked). Tried Williams Mug Soap and the edges of the puck started to turn brown. No melting! Thanks for your help. Yes I do own a microwave oven.

2. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

As a rule, glycerin soaps can be melted in the microwave. Using short bursts of 10 seconds or less. Also, cut the soaps up into small pieces before melting. If you can't cut up the soap easily, then don't melt it. Also, after the soap is melted give it a thorough stirring to make sure nothing has separated.

St. Croix

3. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I used to melt soaps but I don't do it anymore as you lose a considerable amount of scent. With soft soaps I cut them in little slices and press them in the bowl, works quite well. Hard soaps I rasp into the container, add a little water and press them into shape.

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Good ideas Klaus. I noticed when I melted a Honeybee Spa soap I had lost some scent. I thought it was my imagination but I did it to a second soap and got the same impression. I wonder if it's heat evaporation.

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I agree, I avoid melting the soaps.

But if you must, any soap that has clay in it (ltlsuz does, TGQ does) should be stirred thoroughly after melting, as the clay will fall out of its "suspension" in the chemistry of the soap.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    And keep an eye on the soap as it is being melted. If it starts smoking, stop the microwave. ;)

Due to the size of Susie's soaps, 5 second bursts are what I would do.

7. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Thanks fro the help! When my Lilsuz soaps arrive, I may take one and try to soften it up in the microwave and try it mold it in a bowl. Otherwise I'll just put them it a container as is. I tried to melt a puck of William's Mug soap but the edges started to turn brown! I've been basicly using creams until I saw Trader Joe's post on using soaps. Have had great success using his method and it will help making a superlather.:D

:happy005

8. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Williams Mug is in the melting category of "don't try this at home" ;) Not gonna work. Basically, any tallow-based soap will be ruined if you attempt to melt it.

What does work for Williams is to let it soak in hot water before you go to lather. Softens it up nice.

Check this out:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/243771/nuked_soap/

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

10. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

AH now this seems way to easy. why didn't I think of this type of thing earlier? Outstanding idea!!!!!

11. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

:D mine will melt in the micro, only do the 10 sec bust at time, cause about 30 will totally melt the whole thing at once. Just give a stir afterwards to recombine the clay and oils.

12. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I found your soaps to be excellent for rasping. They're very soft so they can be easily brought into whatever shape you need them to be afterwards. Heck, you could even build figurines, just for the fun of it :D No need for a microwave.

@Bob: You're very welcome :)

13. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Got my package from Sue, very nice smell. Got 3, Lilac, Black Cherry, and Pearberry. Put the Lilac puck in a Ziplock bowl and microwaved it until it was soft enough to mold in the bowl. Didn't notice any fragrance loss. I'll experiment with the other 2 shortly. Made a great lather. I also like the little soap frog!

14. scruffy

scruffy New Member

I place the soap in a glass jar with lid. I place the jar in a sink full of boiling hoy water. After a half hour or so, the soap is liquid. it is solid again after removing it for 10-15 minutes. i used the Pirates Cove Lime Flycerin based shaving soap.

15. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Hey ED !!

Welcome, my friend.
    Glad ya found us.
    Tell all yo friends :D

16. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Greetings Ed!!
    Very good choice of shave soaps. But I must ask, what is hoy water??:D

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Ed!

18. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

"hoy water" is what you add to "Flycerin" based shave soap to get your melted soap :happy001

19. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

:happy023

And why I stay "upstate"

20. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Welcome Ed! Ed?

Excuse me now, I must go rasp some soap.