Men (and Women) of the Brush - I need your help.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by seamus402, Oct 19, 2007.

1. seamus402

seamus402 You don't mess with Big Slim

Sunday is my Birthday. I will be 47 years old, I am truly a gorgeous man (rofl) and have decided to reward myself and commence my next AD with a new Brush. I have 2 Vulfix (one travel) and a C&E Best. I want a brush that will be mostly used on soap - (my current AD) and a brush that is FREAKIN BEAUTIFUL. I (I mean SWMBO) will spend between 100 - 150 bones. JLander has a Kent in the classifieds but I have been leaning towards a Simpson or a Shavemac.

Thoughts? Not that I have to prompt any of you quiet guys.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Soapers swear by the Simpsons for the most part. I can not confirm but I will say they are a bit pricey for my tastes.

A Kent BK8 works just fine on soaps.

As dose the bulb shaped Shavemac (the one's to the like of a SR 3XXX)

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Kent BK8 is kinda big.

Maybe a BK4.

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

Mostly for soap.... I really like the Rooney style 1 size 1 in Super Hair the horn handles are Sweet..

Simpson's Dukes are supposed to be great soap brushes, I just bought a Chubby 1 and it's great...

Too many choices out there though, good luck!

and have a Happy B-Day!! ::

5. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

There are indeed many excellent choices out there, but a few that come to mind:
    • Kent BK4
    • Savile Row 3xxx (or Shavemac)
    • Omega Pure Badger (way under your price range)
    • Muehle Pinsel Best/Pure Badger (also way under price range)
    Or a Simpson, I have my eye on a Chubby 2 in Best Badger :eek:

6. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Just get a Kent - I've got a BK4 at home and it has never yet failed me when whipping up lather :D

7. St. Croix

St. Croix New Member

Jim,

A Simpson Duke 2 Best would be perfect for your soaps. Contact Lee for a deal!

St. Croix

8. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Simpson's come to mind. I am sure there is one for that price range that will perform very well.

Raf

9. William

William New Member

+1 Top Brush

10. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Me agree:
    for soaplathering on your face, Simpsons Chubby1 is hard to beat
    Rooney in Super is great with soaps as well and the
    Kent BK4 is great with both.

11. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

+1 on Rooney 1/1 Silvertip or Super, I find them denser and less expensive than the dukes I've come into contact with. One step up from that in density would be the Simpson chubby, but personally I'm still leery of getting a bad one, and one step up from that would be the Rooney Heritage line. The only change upward from there would be the start 2-banded appearance of a Simpson Super (custom order from Em or Lee, but again I'd be leery of a bad one, personally) or Rooney Finest.

The SR silvertip line is very nice, but has a bit much loft and lack of density for my taste. That said, the 3*18 and 3*20 are reputed to be great 'all-around' brushes, similar to the Rooney Style 3.

Best of luck.

J

12. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I haven't heard of a bad Simpson in awhile. I know for fact that everything Lee has is new stock at this point.

Cubby 1 or 2, Duke 3, Polo 8, all great brushes in that price range.

Commodore X3 is a pretty nice soap brush as well, if you choose to go cheaper.

13. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Ill go with a Muehle Best - Superior brush for soaps.. And very good pricewise as well..

14. desmoface

desmoface Active Member

Pictures speak louder than words, plus I just like posting pictures of me stuff ;):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=173

I'm a newbie and only have my C&E bbb to compare the Rooney to, but it's a really nice brush..and it's right at the price you wish to spend. Good luck and Happy Birthday. Enjoy your new brush, whatever you get.

Steve

15. yomuppet

yomuppet Member

Honestly, you'll probably never need another brush beside those two to cover the spectrum performance-wise. Not that you won't get more, of course ;)

Best.

J

16. Lyrt

Lyrt Flash

Simpson’s Tulip 2, the Holy Grail for soap users. The only brush I want to buy now is a Plisson HMW with a horn handle, but that’s only because I’m posh.

Digging up an old photo:

Attached Files:

17. Proraso Man

Proraso Man New Member

+1 - i love that company- they have great items.

18. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

I favor a Plisson European Gray for soaps. Not cheap, but very nice.

19. jfrancisco

jfrancisco New Member

I have found that I like smaller brushes when using soaps. My current love is a vintage Hoffritz brush that though small, really whips up a tidal wave of lather. Others that I have used that I think work especially well with soaps are a Rooney's Finest No. 1/Size 1, Plisson EG/EW/HMW No. 8 or 10/ Simpson Chubby 1 in best or three-banded super, Simpson Tulip No. 1, 2 or 3 and last, but not least a ShaveMac with Finest bristle. Of all of these, I only have kept four brushes; a Plisson 12, ShaveMac SMF I, Hoffritz LC1 and a Simpson Tulip 2. Enjoy your new brush.

Happy Birthday ::

20. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Glad to hear another verification, I just ordered one! :D