Menthol added

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Rhody, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Hey all. I've just added substantial amounts of menthol to proraso green lime sec and speick.

I've used the speick so far and enjoyed the burn /added octane.

I've added it to one AS that hard no etoh but the menthol does not appear to absorb. I've read that that was the case but was on a roll so I tried it.

Anyone else try this recently?

crackstar likes this.
  2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I add menthol to a lot of aftershaves. Often on some more favorite scents I will boost half the bottle and leave the other half for when I'm not in the mood. A few dollars can buy you enough of the stuff you can leave some to your kids.

crackstar and Rhody like this.
  3. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I'm finding that the menthol won't really dissolve in aftershave without etho.

So my question is can you add alcohol to an as that gas none? And if so what type and how much?

Thanks in advance if anyone is out there....

Have a big bag with large pieces. I read that you start by adding a few at a time but in my non scientific method I just added them with a spoon.

crackstar likes this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Get some M-Bomb from the Shave Den Store. I M-Bomb my Witch Hazel, Aftershaves, and shave soaps with it. It's the BOMB!!!

MBOMBf.138.jpg

5. raygsoko

raygsoko New Member

I crush up the crystals, almost to a fine dust, place in aftershave, shake vigorously and that's it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. I was just researching this exact question when I pulled up the thread. My other question is where are you guys buying the menthol crystals? Amazon? Any reccomendations for a supplier? Thanks, I'm a menthol-head too...love it.

Yehuda D and crackstar like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I also add menthol crystals to some of my after shaves, especially the ones with menthol already in them. I just like the extra "freeze" and I do crush them up as much as possible. You could make your own liquid by adding the menthol crystals to either VG or PG liquids that's readily available at drug stores or places like Walmart. That way you could add some to soaps for an extra kick. Actually thinking of adding some to others like Tabac after shave. I got my crystals from Ebay, cheap.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

It's never occured to me to use menthol crystals to any soaps, creams, aftershaves, etc. First of all I have several aftershaves which are so frigid that any more menthol would render them unusable and hazardous. The Arctique is killer-cold to the point where it has to be applied with caution. Even the Osage Rub is plenty cold.

Paul Turner, RaZorBurn123 and Rhody like this.
  9. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

I bought a package from amazon. Just looked for a seller / product with positive reviews.

Have you had success doing the grind method with AS that's got no alcohol such that the menthol will dissolve?

Also I'm wondering about adding etoh to an after shave. I wonder if that will be OK or change the essential masks up of the product. Theoretically adding etoh would then let me easily add menthol and have it absorb.

Sorry to be annoying with multiple points. But what do you mean by VG or pg liquids?

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Vegetable Glycerin or Propylene Glycol. They are used in E-liquids for E-cigs, They are natural, used in food products also, despite the technical names. Can be found in stores I mentioned above.

Rhody likes this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The crystals I bought were "GreenHealth" from Amazon. I just chose them because they popped up as a best seller. I would kind of assume that any of them are fine.

12. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You can add menthol crystals to non-alcohol based aftershaves by heating up either the aftershave or the crystals.

TSD Shop also carries menthol crystals.

Paul Turner and Rhody like this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've added Menthol crystals to my alcohol based aftershaves and it completely dissolves.
    I'd go with M-Bomb, you can do a lot of cool things with it, add to shampoo, soap, aftershave.

14. raygsoko

raygsoko New Member

Haven't tried it with alcohol free aftershaves since I prefer the alcohol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rhody likes this.
  15. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Thanks. How do you recommend heating them?

16. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Metal spoon over a candle flame will melt menthol crystals.

Or you can pour some of your aftershave into a glass container and microwave it, add the menthol to the warmed liquid, stir, and pour back into the original bottle.

17. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

Thanks. Appreciate it. Will try with non etoh AS

18. Rhody

Rhody Well-Known Member

So it melts to a liquid fairly easily. Used a large spoon over the burner. However I've now discovered that depending on what you add the liquid in. I.e. an AS without alcohol or possibly essential oils it will recrystallize in the liquid. Of course I'm shaking it like the Dickens. Going to let it sit an shake periodically and see what happens.

19. chrisgeeo

chrisgeeo Well-Known Member

What would y'all say is a good amount say in grams of the crystals to 120 ml bottle of AS that doesn't have any in to begin with?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  20. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

When I want to add menthol to my aftershave I use a product called 444 which is mostly menthol. I just add a very small amount of 444 into my palm and add in a little aftershave, rub my palms together and rub into my face and I get a nice menthol kick. A little goes a long way. 444 is like a balm or soft gel. It mixes well with aftershave splashes and is available many places on line. Great stuff IMO.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    AaronW1983 likes this.