Menthol Crystals - Question on Using Them!

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by johnnyflake, Mar 26, 2019.

1. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

For those of you who have used Menthol Crystals, mixing them with aftershaves, soaps, etc., have you come up with an amount to use, with X ounces of whatever, to make it into a nice, fairly strong Menthol Product?

Any input and/or suggestions, for using Menthol Crystals, will be appreciated.

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I mixed 10g in a 7.5oz bottle of Florida Water. I like the results. Not crazy strong, but definitely well-mentholated. Tip: Get a small bowl, mix the crystals and some of the AS in the bowl and with a funnel, pour back into the bottle. I found the crystals difficult to get into the bottle. As far as soaps go, I use M-Bomb. It's a pre-mixed product; better for soaps.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Shave-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Keithmax, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  3. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Can't you crush them into a powder, then mix them in? Just wondering.

Keithmax, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Article Team
    You can, sure. The opening of the florida water is miniscule. I forgot that I did crush them. I made a huge mess.
    I haven't added it to any other bottles.

Frijolero, johnnyflake and BigD like this.
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I never measured. I just add a very little at a time. Remember that you can always add more, but you can't take it back out.

First bottle I tried it on, I thought I was being conservative. What I ended up with pretty much tested the limits of usable.

DaltonGang, johnnyflake and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

i add it to my witch hazel in a pump spray bottle..a little at a time till i like it..

7. Primotenore

Article Team
    I tried them in a bottle of Thayer's and could never get them to dissolve.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  8. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Menthol crystals will melt at 112F degrees

brit, Frijolero and johnnyflake like this.
  9. johnnyflake

I just finished blending 4.0 grams of Menthol Crystals, with about 2oz of Col Conk Bay Rum Soap. I placed the crystals and the soap puck in a container and then microwaved them for 30 second. It complete liquefied. I stirred it up real good, releasing tons of menthol aroma. I'll let it dry up all day and night and then I'll use it to save tomorrow morning.

I'll advise!

brit, Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  10. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Is the conk soap you used a glycerine based soap?

johnnyflake and brit like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

takes a while sir, i also add a few drops of glycerin..fantastic stuff for the late night shaves..or mornings i don't have a matching cologne..

johnnyflake and Primotenore like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

col conk soap is glycerin based..

johnnyflake and Leclec13 like this.
  13. johnnyflake

As brit pointed out, Conk is a glycerin based soap. It's the only type, that can be nuked, without damage, as far as I am aware.

Well, I shaved this morning with the Menthol infused Conk Bay Rum and I must say, it was amazing! The soap lathered up, as quickly as ever, into a nice thick creamy lather, with an amazing menthol aroma. When applied to the face, it was a dazzling experience. A strong, but not too strong, menthol freeze covered my face. I loved it! It was a real wake me up experience! I lathered up twice and was extremely pleased with the results. As it happened, 2.0 grams of Menthol Crystal per ounce, worked out perfect for me.

After a delightful shave, I splashed on a heavy dose of Ogallala Bay Rum and it re-lite the menthol again. WOW that was killer! I cannot express enough how much I enjoyed this mornings experience. After splashing on the Ogallala, the menthol goodness lasted for about 20/30 minutes.

Now I need to experiment with an aftershave.

14. Lee Russell

Lee Russell Member

WOW! I have to try it myself... thanks for the recipe, try to mixed match with my preference and yep little by little as @Frijolero said :)

brit, johnnyflake and Frijolero like this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I usually add a tablespoon of crushed menthol crystals to 6oz after shaves, using a funnel. It's almost 13 grams, a bit more than what @Primotenore uses, but I like my menthol.

brit, Keithmax, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

i melted a col conk small lime puck with a larger amber puck and a bunch of menthol crystals.will be trying it on the weekend...scent is nice so far..

17. johnnyflake

That sounds interesting. I am looking forward to you review.

brit likes this.
  18. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Was that the alcohol free version? Most Witch Hazel has a natural alcohol content....I think around 17%.... and those ones dissolve the Menthol much more easily. The same goes for the addition of Essential Oils.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

No alcohol in Thayer’s. Dissolve the crystals in a tablespoon of alcohol and then add the mixture to the Thayer’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frijolero, brit and madmedic like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

sd alcohol 40-b natural grain 10%, second ingredient in this version.. 20190330_112509.jpg

madmedic and Frijolero like this.