Merkur 11C

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lamontqsanford, Feb 18, 2009.

1. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I am thinking of getting a Merkur 11C. Anyone have any opinions on this razor. I currenlty use only slants and don't really know my I want this razor but I do. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated and could sway my vote either way.

2. magic

magic New Member

I have been using this razor several months and in fact posted my SOTD using this razor this morning. Its excellent and is similar to the slant and hd only open. IMHO gives a better shave then the others. At the present thats all I use are open combs in my rotation.

3. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

is the 12C same thing, but with the longer handle like the 39C?
    11C=37C handle
    12C=39C handle

is that correct?

4. lamontqsanford

I think that is correct but not positive.

5. superbleu

superbleu Active Member

Thanks Paul and Tracy.
    Next question, how does the 11C compare to the 41C?

6. lamontqsanford

In my limited experience it is about 30 short :happy102

jeraldgordon likes this.
  7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Go for it, Tracy. I have both the 11C and 12C, and I think they are not only great shavers, but alao somewhat underrated in the wet shaving world as most would recommend a Gillette Old Type instead. I think the build quality of the Merkur razors is pretty much in line with their cost.

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I don't have a 41C yet, but I imagine there is little difference other than how they feel in the hand.

9. lamontqsanford

Rick how does the shave compare to a Gillette New Open Comb?

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

If you get one Tracy, maybe check this place out. Good price and a case.

And they even say that it is ideal for beards! :happy102

11. All the open comb razors have the same head but all the handles are of a different weight so provide a different shave. The 12C being the heaviest is the most aggressive & the 15C the lightest, so the least aggressive.

Regards,

Paul

12. lamontqsanford

Holy #$#@ that is cheap. That may have just sealed the deal. Have you bought from these folks before?

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

To me, they are about the same. Looking at the heads, you can see that the base plates are the same, but there is a slight (and I believe negligible) difference in the top pieces. Merkur is on left.

[​IMG]

However, this is the same design that Merkur has always used. Here is the 11C next to a 1920's or 1930's Merkur.

[​IMG]

14. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I have not, but you sound like a willing guinea pig! :D

15. lamontqsanford

Thanks Rick. I have a 26 New that I really like but never use it because it is kind of a collector piece with the cool metal case that the top moves up and down when you close the lid. Thus I never use it and I like the feel of the merkur handle better. You make up my mind for me and thanks for the link, with a case, you can't go wrong.

16. lamontqsanford

They look legit. I mean not just anyone can open a store on the internet, right?:happy102

17. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Tracy, I see that place offers free shipping on orders over $50, so maybe you could find somebody else that wants one and you could both get a pretty good deal.

18. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I just caught this. Are you talking about a Bostonian?

19. lamontqsanford

Yup, mine looks exactly like that and is a bostonian