Merkur 34C Blade Suggestions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by bcannon87, Sep 14, 2015.

1. bcannon87

bcannon87 Well-Known Member

I know all is subjective however the Astra Platinum's don't seem to get as close in the Merkur as they do in my Parker. Therefore I'm look for some suggestions for blades to put into a sampler. I know I will be getting some Feathers and probably some Gillette blues. Any others that I need to consider.

Thanks

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like Ladas and persona labs.

bcannon87 likes this.
  3. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I usually give this list for blades to try (from least sharp to sharpest): Vostok, Astra, GSB (or PolSilver), Feather.
    That is four blades from different levels of sharpness. You should pick the least sharp blade still slicing your whiskers without effort. If you feel pull and tugs, the blade is not sharp enough.

You will actually nick yourself more with a dull blade than with a sharp as skip and jumps follow tugs. A sharp blade will allow you to have more control and more smooth movements. A sharp blade will on the other hand irritate a bit more the skin, so while Feather blades are easy to shave with if you want to avoid nicks, they might give some irritation. Hence, the least sharp blade still slicing easily is the best.

bcannon87 likes this.
  4. recon813

recon813 New Member

I enjoy using the Astra blades in mine. I first tried Derbys, and had a few problems.

bcannon87 likes this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I use Astra SP in all my razors.

bcannon87 likes this.
  6. xnykid

xnykid Well-Known Member

i vote PolSilver but if your talking about a Parker OC it is more aggressive than the Merkur so your blades will fell a lot different in there.

bcannon87 likes this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I like the Gillette 7 O'Clock blacks in my 34c.

bcannon87 and MarshalArtist like this.
  8. bcannon87

It's a Parker 96R.

9. bcannon87

I tried the Gillettes and it was much better

10. Bymainer

Bymainer Active Member

I'm brand new to this, but the first one's I tried were Derby and Astra, and so far, the Derby's have the edge- just seem a little less grabby to me. I was using the 34C

11. Blauer Max

Blauer Max Well-Known Member

Rapira Swedish Supersteel, PolSilver Super Iridium, Feather.