Merkur 34C vs. 38C

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JoeMal, Nov 21, 2010.

1. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Seems to be nearly the same DE razor, only the 38C is .75" longer. Is this the only difference? I'm a big guy (6'6") with large hands...would the 38 be more suited for me? Is the extra 3/4ths of an inch really a big difference?

This will be my first DE razor. Thanks

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

The heads are the same, but along with the extra length the 38C provides, it is also heavier.

I'm a big guy with large hands too, and now that I have been using D/E's for a while I find that I really don't require a razor with a long handle, as I am able to adapt my grip.

However I do use my Barberpole slant more often than the short handle slant I have.

3. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

As previously mentioned, the biggest difference is the weight of the two razors with the 38C being much heavier. The 38C will be much more aggressive due to its weight. I was able to get a very close shave with the 38C, but if I wasn't very careful with it, all too often I would end with a raw face. I get a much more consistent shave with the 34C. And very close as well. IMHO, the difference in length is a minor issue.

eric.

4. snowbird72

snowbird72 New Member

This is really interesting. I posted on an issue I was having with the 38C which I had bought as my first razor. I never read anything about the weight being an issue with it, especially as a newbie, only that is was a good starter.

However, after contacting the distributor and receiving an email back saying this is a common complaint and that usually the user is not practicing good shaving technique, I really focused on how I was shaving to see if I changed anything, if it made a difference.

I can tell you that I am barely bearing down on the razor now and find that there is a real balance between getting every hair and really hurting myself.

The 38C is definitely heavy but I too have large hands and find I can manage it ok. My shaves are getting better each time and I suspect the razor may have less to do with my issue than I had originally thought (although I am not completely letting them off the hook at this point). I don't know anything about the 34C but I would imagine with practice, you will be able to figure it out using either razor.

Not sure this helps but I thought I would add some perspective from a recent convert.

5. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I do appreciate your comments. I'm still trying to decide which one to go with...time will tell I suppose. Be sure to let me know if you have any enlightenments!

6. paydepst

paydepst Member

I like long handled razors myself. The heavier weight is the only real caveat with the 38C as you will have to be cognizant of the amount of pressure you are bringing to bear particularly after using a lighter razor. For me I really have to watch myself when I shave with a DE anyway as if I don't concentrate I pay the price and I've been wetshaving traditionally for a while now.

A bit OT, but if you ever consider an injector razor and you like long handles you might want to try Gillette's injector razor. It has a long handle (particularly compared to the more common Schick) and will take the same blade used by the Schick.

7. Fido

Fido Member

I had both razors. I opted for the 38C simply because I feel more comfortable with a longer handle.