Merkur 37c vs. 39c vs. iKon Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ChiefShaver, Sep 1, 2013.

1. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies and Gentleman,

hope you are fine.

I´m interested in Slant razors right now.But i don´t know which one i should take.

Heared lot of very good things for all of them,but what do you think?! I love the handle of the 39c but is it better than a 37c or the iKon Slant?

Maybe you could give me some help. What do you prefer? What is worth the money? :)

2. Mr. Wonderful

Mr. Wonderful Active Member

My son has a merkur slant (short handle) and loves it. I too would like feedback on the Ikon slant

3. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

The iKon and Merkur Slants shave very differently, about the only thing which they have in common is a slant head, and even that is different.

The iKon holds the blade more rigid, so the shave is more audible than either of the Merkurs. Also due to the extreme torque of the slant design the blade is cutting at a much different angle. The iKon shave so smoothly that without the audio feedback being produced you would not even realize that it is cutting hairs.

The difference between the 37C and the 39C is really a personal preference in handle style and weight, as the shave is identical. It is hard to go wrong with either of the two.

As much as I love the iKon, when it comes just to economics, you cannot beat the price of the Merkurs. They both provide great shaves, and are priced so even a new wet shaver can afford one. The shave is still very efficient with the Merkur Slants, the main difference that I feel is the smoothness on the iKon.

If you can afford the iKon, I will tell people to go for it. But if you must rob Peter to pay Paul, the Merkur will provide a shave that is almost as efficient at a much lower price.

Erik Redd and alpla444 like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I used the 37c for several weeks, then picked up a 39c. It is a personal choice, and as Arley stated: both cuttings are the same, but I prefer the longer handle of the 39c sledgehammer. Both razors did an exceptional job of providing ultra-close and COMFORTABLE shaving experiences. And the price of investing in either is tough to beat!
    Now realize, of course, my other razor has been a long-handled Merkur 38c barber pole, so I may have had a conditioned bias towards the bigger handles.

5. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I hope to get the 37c and the iKon in the near future. A member of our german forum will lend it to me.Than i will get a first impression of these two razors. I´m soooo curious about the iKon...today i had it on my shopping card at shavenation.com, but i didn´t do it. Not so long, as i know how it shaves and if i like it.After that i had the Merkur 39c on my shopping card...and didn´t do it.:angry017:

I would pay the high price for this beauty of a razor. This is a razor that will last for years and you don´t have to replate it,because it is of stainless steel.:)

6. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

I was just discussing this with my brother. I would love a slant for my next razor. Either Merkur are very affordable. I have been flipping the 39c in and out of my shopping cart. It's my personal strongest contender for this reason. If I don't love the shave it give, I'll still have a great handle. Anyone else have input on the slant razors?

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Just in case it hasnt been mentioned, the Merkur Barber Pole handle on the 38c & 39c is affixed to the base plate. It disassembles entirely as shown in this photo:
    [​IMG]

8. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

The 37C is the only razor I ever regret selling; even with substandard blades the thing pulled off a great shave. I probably would still have it today if I had been able to jump on the 37G bandwagon and have one in Chrome and one in Gold.

9. JayPo007

Thanks for the pics. I think I want it even more after seeing them, even if they do snuff my extra handle idea.

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I like the looks of the vintage Hoffritz razors better (rebranded Merkurs from the 30's-50's). I didn't care for the shave though, and I hated the fact that the head is made of zamak, just like modern 38c and 39c razors.

What I would love to try is the old 3 piece Abercrombie & Fitch brass slant razor. I just haven't had $300+ available on the rare occasions one pops up for sale.

The Ikon has blade centering issues...there have been a few discussions about it.

Edit: you might find this an interesting read. http://shavenook.com/thread-the-slant-concept

HolyRollah likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've been reading some of those observations. Azarius noted that in his excellent comprehensive review here. I've read elsewhere (other shave-related forums) that others have had concerns about this issue —and of course there are still others who claim something along this line: "I just drop a blade in, tighten it down & you're done. No problem. I don't get why people think there's a problem!" Either it exists or it doesn't. Or maybe just to some, it is no big deal. At the razor's price point, however, I'd be a bit put off at the perceived design 'flaw' if enough people notice it.

Azarius likes this.
  12. JayPo007

The Hoffritz is a fine looking razor indeed. On the rare occasion I do see one on the bay they normally start at $200. That is quite a bit more than I'm comfortable spending on a razor when I have other $50 razors I thoroughly enjoy.

13. jkarp_53

jkarp_53 Member

On the B&B site it's interesting to note that while most 37C models are keepers; and if put up for sale go quickly. On the other side, the Ikon version has been out for a few weeks, and I'm seeing a lot of them up for sale, and they are slow movers. One issue with the Ikon is apparently due to the ears of the blade being covered by the wide cap. With my 37C it's a lot easier to make minor adjustments, and a feature I've become used to are those two little tabs, present on all of my modern and vintage razors.

So - Is the Ikon, with it's hefty price tag and oft-commented on flaw, any better than the Merkur? I have no plans on buying one, liking very much the one I own which delivers such great shaves at a greatly reduced price point.

Have a good day out there!

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

See Post#3 above. Arley has used both the Merkus and the Ikon slant and has been very honest in his appraisal of all the slants.
    "If you can afford the iKon, I will tell people to go for it. But if you must rob Peter to pay Paul, the Merkur will provide a shave that is almost as efficient at a much lower price."

For me, if I were in the market, I'd wait until the Ikon slant Version 2— is released— where they have 'fixed' the blade pins so the adjustment isn't a hassle. $150 & fiddling with the blade so it sits right is a bit of a turn-off.
    But that's just me....;)

178-bplatoon, Tdmsu and Chuck F like this.
  15. Robzilla

Robzilla Well-Known Member

The short handled Merkur slant has been my go to for a long time now. Nothing is easier to use for me. It doesn't care what blade I use. I find it fast, smooth and easy. I've had the Ikon for only a few days, but it has impressed me so far. No blade centering issues at all, and the thing is a superior piece of workmanship to the Merkur. The Merkur has huge issues with blade centering, and I daren't load it with wet hands because it takes a lot of fiddling. I get smoother shaves out of the Merkur, although that may change as I learn the Ikon. At this early date I prefer the Merkur. It exposes more blade, and is, I think, more aggressive. The handle on the Ikon is a trifle long for my taste, but that's just preference. I also own the sledgehammer, but I've never used it as I prefer a 3" handle.
    The Ikon is neat to hold and to use. It is a nice piece of metal, and it makes a cool noise when you use it. It also has better knurling on the handle. I'm a messy shaver, so I appreciate that. Mine has the tightest blade tolerances of any razor I own, so maybe I got a good one.
    I'd say if you have the money, go for the Ikon, especially if you are a collector type. It is an interesting and unique razor. You can always pick up an HD slant or sledgehammer later.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

16. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

If I may be so bold as to go slightly off topic. But how does the Merkurs and Ikon slant compare to the bakelite slant?
    The bakelite is the only slant bar razor I have tried, and I am curious about other versions.

Being slighly clumsy, I reckon the bakelite slants days are numbered :)

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have not experienced the blade-centering issues you describe on the Merkurs. Maybe I'll need to pay attention more next time.
    The sledgehammer is still my fav, but I'm not opposed to one day trying an Ikon slant. Maybe if I come across a deal in 6 months for $99 for the whole deal, or maybe I'll just get the razor head to try on the Bulldog II handle.

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a 37C and the Ikon. The Ikon is heavier and much better construction and finish. I find the Ikon the milder of the two, in fact the Ikon feels mild to me. If you prefer an aggressive razor you will not be happy, there is little blade exposure. I rate the 37C as medium for aggressiveness.

I have not had the chance to try many different blades in the Ikon but the 37C seems happy with a wide variety of blades.

The Ikon is a beautiful razor while the 37C looks and feels a little cheap.

HolyRollah likes this.
  19. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Initially, I had some trouble getting the blade in my 39c correctly and did some searching. I found a post somewhere that explained how to load the blade. Basically, if you put the cap upside down on a countertop, drop the blade on, then lower the handle onto the cap and tighten the knob, the blade is centered every time. It's worked for me and I wonder if the blade centering issues on the Ikon are the same. Maybe you just have to use the right technique.

Keithmax likes this.
  20. jkarp_53

jkarp_53 Member

Go with the 37C, it's a great razor.