Merkur 37c vs. 39c vs. iKon Slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ChiefShaver, Sep 1, 2013.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:happy088:

2. snuff

snuff Well-Known Member

I've used all 3, 37C and 39C are great shavers, the iKon didn't do it for me but is the nicest as far as build quality and looks go.

Being a SS razor I need to remove the blade every time after shaving otherwise the blade will rust inside the razor, given that it's a PITA to align the blade every time and it doesn't give me a great shave I sold it. Others seem to be really happy with it.

3. Tjebbe

Tjebbe Well-Known Member

I like the theory of the slant a lot!
    The 37c didn't do it for me, it's a fine shaver but I do get a lot of irritation, every time I use it... matter of technique I think.
    Last week a Ikon Slant shavehead was offered to me, i couldn't resist, and I shaved with it the last 4 days, aligning the blade is a bit... but then again the shave is überclose!
    I haven't had BBS shaves in a row before, now I do!
    For me the PolSilver is doing the smoothest.

No Pressure, best rule I learned here!

thx Snuff!

Tdmsu and JayPo007 like this.
  4. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I pulled the trigger. Order on the way. I can't wait!

feeltheburn and HolyRollah like this.
  5. offroad64

offroad64 a shoulder to cry on

Just remember no pressure and it may take some time to find a blade that works for you. What has worked as your blade of choice may change now. Good luck and let us know how it goes:happy088:

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

"Good things come to those who.....," well, you know the rest! ;)
    [​IMG]

Tdmsu likes this.
  7. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Yeah so far was using an Astra SP with my DE89 almost exclusively. I'll see!

8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Astras do feel different to me in those two razors. Smooth and sharp in my R89. Just a little rougher in the slant. For me, the slant makes lots of blades feel a little different than they feel in other razors so it's tough to predict what I'll like based on previous experience. I don't even try now. I just try it and see and I'm usually surprised. Can't wait to hear how you like it.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I pulled the hammer on a 37c earlier today before finding this thread. After reading the thread I am even more excited to be getting it on Friday. Thanks for all the good insights.

Update: Oct 19
    sod101813a.jpg
    My slant arrived yesterday, and today, I had my first shave with a slant. Wow! It was a most excellent shave. No irritation at all. No sting with the after shave, too. Thanks to all for the good comments and information. This will definitely be at the top of my rotation.

Metro likes this.
  10. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Well time to revive this thread! I got my slant on Tuesday and I've been using it for almost a week now, except for Sunday. It give excellent shaves! About the blades, it is true that Astras SP feel different in it, and I prefer going with the yellow Feathers. However, I've gotten CCS with a two-pass shave skipping the ATG on the neck, but I could only get BBS with a 3-pass shave which gave me a bit of irritation on the neck. That is no different for me than any other razor I've ever used though, and therefore I can say now that the 39C is the most efficient razor I've used to date, which makes it my favorite. Close second is my DE89.

feeltheburn and HolyRollah like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I love my 39c. 'Efficient' is a great description for how this razor shaves. :happy088:

12. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Well, my wife got me an Ikon Slant for Christmas - she's the best! I've shaved with it twice now using a Feather blade and I definitely agree with everything I've heard about the Ikon. It's milder, smoother, just as effective, and really loud. Very nice razor. I can't really say my shaves are closer with it but they're as good as any I've ever had and probably just a touch more comfortable than I get on most days. I thought I knew what "no irritation" meant but this razor has raised the bar on that for me. Really super comfortable shaves the past couple days and super close too.

I still like my 39c but the Merkur and Ikon are very different razors. The Merkur takes a little concentration and a very light touch. It's also picky about blades. Lots of my favorites just don't work in it. The Ikon is the razor to use when you've got to be to work at 4 am and have to shave when you're half-asleep but still want a BBS. It feels like you almost can't make a mistake with it. I'll have to see how it likes other blades but I already know it's a winner with Feathers.

So my conclusion, if anyone cares, is that the Ikon is the better razor. Whether it's worth 3x the cost of the Merkur is something you'll have to decide but at least for the higher cost, I feel like I got a better product.

BTW, I didn't have any trouble getting the blade loaded straight :)

Tdmsu likes this.