Merkur futur and clones

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sky pilot 83, May 19, 2017.

1. sky pilot 83

sky pilot 83 Active Member

Just got the qshave clone of the merkur futur. Took it apart to see how it works and to check out the internals (yes I'm like a kid in that aspect). My problem is i forgot to check and see how tight it was before taking it apart. So I'm wondering if when reassembling it, do i tighten the handle on all the way or do i leave it one rotation short of fully tightened to attain it's designed performance? I've already checked out youtube vids, and other various google searches to find my answer to no avail, they don't have the answer to my question.

And for what it's worth for others, I've noticed that the base plate that the blade sets on only goes on one way. If it's on the right way the blade gap and exposure will be clean, if it's on the wrong way it'll be uneven exposure and or gap.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

RyX and Tdmsu like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Try both?

3. sky pilot 83

I'm looking to get it back to factory performance.

4. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I've never disassembled/reassembled the Futur, but it seems to me that you would want to make sure that the blade gap is set correctly (or to your preference) when the adjustment is in the middle of the range.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. sky pilot 83

And how do you set the gap back to factory setting?

See, if you set yours down as low as it'll go, then all you'd have to do is remove the cap, then press down on the top with yoyr thumb while supporting the underside with your index and middle fingers and if you can rotate it down to 6 then it wasn't all the way tightened.

Terry Williams likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Bring your findings to This Discussion. Everyone else might like the info!

sky pilot 83 likes this.
  7. sky pilot 83

Will do.

8. Terry Williams

I'm not sure how you would set the gap on a Merkur Futur. For Gillette adjustables the height of the adjuster is set by a threaded colette that is pressed into the top of the handle. You have to screw the adjuster dial onto the colette and then reassemble the center stem, blade adjuster, base and doors. You can then put a blade in the head and measure with a feeler gauge. It's a pretty involved process and takes some practice and patience. Unless you've done it a lot, then you will probably not get it right on the first try. But, it is a great way to custom tune Gillette adjustables.

9. Terry Williams

BTW. I measured a Slim with a blade inserted at the middle setting (5) of a Gillette Slim and it came back as .020 in (.50mm). I get the same measurement from a Flair Tip with a blade installed. On the Futur, at a setting of 3, I had to combine .032 and .028 (so, .060 in.) to get the feeler gauge to fill the gap.

This isn't an indication of the relative aggressiveness of the Futur to the Slim, but it is a way to have a benchmark for a particular razor.

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Unfortunately they don't come with factory reset buttons, please let us know how it turns out.
    :shaver

RyX likes this.