Merkur Futur for Beginners

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by GlennConti, Apr 11, 2013.

1. AndrewLyons4

AndrewLyons4 New Member

IMO I don't think the FUTUR is a good first razor...I've only been shaving for 6 months but I started on the Merkur HD, then went to the Edwin Jagger DE89L.... now I own the Merkur Futur... I love that razor.. unless they come out or already have a better one out I will stick with this one for awhile... Hell I usually pull out the Merkur HD on feel good days.. HA HA

otherstar likes this.
  2. Kingofseoul

Kingofseoul Member

The Futur was my first razor, but I switched to an EJ89.
    I like the EJ a lot, but I've put the Futur back in my rotation.
    I got WTG on 3 and 1.5 ATG.
    Works pretty well for me that way.

I also shave my head. When I use the Futur, I go 1.5.
    But I mostly use the EJ for head shaving.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As much as I truly enjoy the Futur, it would not be my first choice recommendation for a beginner. Sure, on a low setting (1-1.5), its a pleasantly mild razor. But the sheer size of it (especially the large head) would be challenging for those learning the proper angle, feel and beard direction. Compound the size with a tendency of the razor to be rather slippery when wet in the hand, and I would rather suggest an alternative for a newbie.

4. Larry P

Larry P Member

Glenn, your experience has encouraged me to go with the Futur as my first DE razor. Perhaps it's also manly silly ego: "I ain't no beginner"; or perhaps it's because i tend to learn better when there's blood on the line :) I had been using Dorco cartridges for the past few months with my awesome Thater 4125/3 and 1805 shaving cream, but even with a good ritual and pre-shave oil, every cartridge i've ever used has given me ingrown hairs and irritation. Actually the art of shaving pre-shave oil gave me the worst irritation i've had in years right on my lower neck behind my jaw.

So now with witch hazel in hand and a few bars of alum, I join you in the quest for BBS, though right now it stands for "Barely Bloody Shave". My destruction or success will first ride on the Astra SPs. Thanks for the inspiration!

FYI: My picture is a before and after: Look how fuzzy i was bottom left.. and what i look like now!

--Larry

5. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Hi Larry,

Good luck on your quest. I have since moved away from the Astra SP as my go to blade. The ATG pass would give me weepers some times. My go to blade now is the Lord Platinum; low cost and no weepers. But you will have fun finding your way. PS: Photo bombed by your dog... Too funny!

--Glenn

Larry P likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I love my Futur too. I like agressive razors am usually start out at 5 or 6 and dial it down for ATG pass. It the razor I use to test new brands of blades because I can adjust and because it's so heavy I know I won't use any pressure.

Enjoy, the more you use this razor the more you will enjoy it.

Larry P likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011:

Larry P likes this.
  8. Inverted

Inverted Member

What a cool and informative thread. I might have to add this to the wish list for the future. The best part about DE razors is that every one shaves differently, and it is fun to read about individual characteristics. I think a Futur will be a great 3rd razor for me.

Larry P likes this.
  9. Larry P

Larry P Member

So i should post about my first futur / Astra SP / Thater 4125-3 / Proraso / Taylor Sandalwood shave. Lol its good i used most of that even with cartridges. After all of the reading and videos I showed the razor the respect it deserves and started at a 1. I was surprised that I felt and heard nothing as I started WTG. But i knew it was shaving my face also. I had done an extensive pre-shave, about 20 minutes including the shower. Across the grain was also a breeze, with a little sound but no pulling. I raised the razor to a 2 and then 3 to test out the "danger". I didn't find any at those levels.

I did have trouble controlling the razors weight on against the grain. It may be technique, or it may be time to do some finger weights heh. But it felt bulky to me and top heavy. I choked up and completed the pass uninjured lol. I feel like I would have to really try to cut myself so i'm very happy overall.

Afterwards I did a cleanup pass on 3 and i'm considering leaving it there and skipping ATG in favor of an extra across and necessary cleanup.

I'm satisfied that even on low settings and as a beginner I had the the best shave of my life. My wife expected perfection of course, but I miss little spots regardless of the tool lol. To me it felt bbs in 99% of my face. So i ask, should I just keep practicing against the grain or perfect the other passes first on a 3 or so? Thanks everyone!

Baggered likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ahhh…another one has fallen for the allure… ;)
    [​IMG]

Larry P likes this.
  11. Inverted

Inverted Member

Ho-ly crap! It looks even better in polished, I have only found satin. Where can I find the polished version!?

txskimo likes this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Online vendors carry the chrome version, or you can patiently watch the 'buy-sell-trade' sections of forums (that's where I acquired my razor shown above) as the Futurs do show up from time to time; often in matte, rarely in gold, but the occasional chrome version does appear.

13. Larry P

Larry P Member

Yeah it's on amazon. I went with satin because it it supposedly less slippery.

14. Larry P

Larry P Member

Figured out ATG in second shave. Awesome razor.

Baggered likes this.
  15. Larry P

Larry P Member

I learned today that dialing up the futur to a 5+ is a much smoother experience. As long as you have learned how to use the razor i'd recommend raising the blade and just concentrating on the angle and pressure. It's my first real BBS!

16. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I'm a little late to the current resurrection of this great thread and at risk of being a broken record, BUT... I fully endorse the Chinese knockoff of the Merkur Futur, which can be found here. Quite the bargain if your concerns are budgetary!

Good quality. Nice finish (but only in gold). Maybe not as good as the Merkur, but for less than half the price... !!! My only criticism is that the adjustment numbers could have been machined a little bit deeper: they're kinda hard to see.

17. Larry P

Larry P Member

"Sorry, the product was not found." I really love the adjustable razors. I can almost shave with a new razor daily heh.

18. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Holy link rot, Batman! When did that one go dead? Well, I will stop copy-pasting that link. Broken record indeed!

I'm still a fan. I'm sure Joe at Shaveabuck would answer an inquiry. (I may have to ask to assuage my curiosity!) Just sent the e-mail. Will advise.

Sorry...

19. A CUT ABOVE

A CUT ABOVE New Member

I have a Futur and first started with a Mekur 34C, then a Edwin Jagger 89, added a Feather DE SS and I like the ED 89 the best. On the Futur, after a couple of shaves, I started at 2, second pass 1.5 and third 1. Keep in mind the settings are different on the Futur's depending on the razor as far as aggressiveness. What's more aggressive at the 2 setting on one Futur could be less aggressive on another. The round large head also dictates the angle which can change the closeness of the shave. The Futur is also one of the heaviest razors so let the weight of the razor do the work. It will give you a very good shave but you need to experiment.

20. Papa Roy

Papa Roy Active Member

I, too, have a Future. First couple shaves resulted in some blood. Have since learned to pay attention, take it slow, enjoy the razor. Not disappointed in it at all!!!