Merkur Futur Love it/Hate it

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dougr, Jun 22, 2010.

1. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

After buying a Merkur Futur set recently, I just started shaving with it and had my third shave today. I am using Gillette Bleue Extra blades on a setting of 1 and am getting good shaves, no cuts, and a comfortable but different shaving experience. Before I used Atra two blade cartridges then recently Mach 3 and finally a SS 40's tto for just a few shaves.

How does this fit with other Futur users out there?

Attached Files:

2. geogaga

geogaga Member

Man, this thing is huge! :) Glad you're experiencing good things.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Love it! Started at 1.5, moved it up half a notch after every shave, got to three and decided that was just a tad too much! Keep it locked around 2.75.

4. revtriplep

revtriplep Member

Good Choice

I've got a bunch of razors, from EJ to Muehle and 8 different Merkur's. But my favorite by far is the Merkur Futur. Bought an extra one incase there's a world calalmity and they stop making razors (ha ha). I always go to my Futur, it shaves the best and closest of any razor i've ever used. I use it with Feathers, Super Iridium's, IP, and Gilette Yellow's. This razor is hand's down the best i've used and I don't see changing to another in the near future. You've made a great purchase and it will probably be your favorite go to razor. I've got mine set on 2.5 right now.

Tdmsu likes this.
  5. swarden43

Don't let the size put you off. Grab it right there at the indentation below the adjustment numbers and the balance is absolutely sweet.

6. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

+1 I love my Futur. I use it more than any other razor I own. I get great shaves with it with almost every blade I've tried!

7. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

What blades are you using Steve?:happy096

8. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Any favorite blade?

9. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

:happy096
    Wow 2.5 setting is the best so far; any difference in the Feathers and the others? Also, besides moving your nose to one side ... like mantic59...any suggestions for the difficult areas?

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I've heard they were big but never saw a comparison.

It looks huge next to the Gillette.

How do you guys get under your nose with such a big razor?

11. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Not really. I've got Astra, Derby Extra, Dorco 300, Dorco 301, and Red IP blades on hand right now. I give the edge to the Astra blades, but I get good shaves from them all.

12. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Move it to one side like Mantic59 does; no cuts and smoothly works somehow.

13. over5feet

over5feet Active Member

Futur

I have a futur and this was my starter DE (used to straight shave a moon ago) I use personna blades with it set on 2,Not had a bad shave yet with this razor I would love to try Merkur Vision 2000 (I bet that would give the fatboy that I'm still unsure of a run for its money:happy102)

If you look at the reviews for the futur its a mixed bag and a lot of people hate it more than love it I think, But I think its up there with the best of them. And out of the 4 different razors I own this is my best

14. swarden43

I like Astra SPs and Dorco ST-301s.

I don't :D I have a handlebar mustache.

15. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Several people have mentioned the Asrta SPs and I think Phil at bullgooseshaving has several samplers that I need to order and try.:thanks

16. swarden43

If you've never ordered from Phil, know this - the guy will treat you right! Very fast service. Aside from TSD soaps, I'll try and order from Phil. Even if doesn't have something, I've asked and he's been able to get it. Competitive prices, as well. :happy088 :happy088

17. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I have only seen the Vision in the estore web pages; it looks really big. If I compare my Futur with the silver handled Reed and Barton Atra two blade that I used for years, they are about the same length with the atra longer and the futur thicker. So, the head of the razors is the difference and the futur is very well balanced but more of a blunt feel when shaving.

18. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thanks for that; I am waiting for Phil to get a brush that I would like to try in stock and order some blades, etc with the rest of the order to combine shipping. Hopefully he will have the brush in July as he was kind enough to email me. Sounds like a great guy.:thanks

19. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

When I first got my Futur it was the only razor I used for about 6 months. I like it loaded with an Astra Superior Platinum, but give the nod to Iridium Supers for longevity. I especially like it when I haven't shaved for a few days. I crank it right up to 3 and get a great shave in just as many passes as I do a daily shave.

20. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

:thanksThanks I will have to put the Astras on my sample list; shaved with the Futur for the third morning and had a great shave. Just one pass and some touchup places on the neck and jaw line is all I attempt. It keeps getting better.