Merkur Futur Love it/Hate it

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dougr, Jun 22, 2010.

1. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Gibbs several months ago there was a post that the Gold had been discontinued and when I went online several suppliers were OOS I found one and bought it for around $70 plus shipping. Recently I read that the problem was with the mfg line and no time was indicated for restocking. So, first I am envious of your price and second you got a great deal....first dibs if you sell it. With gold spot prices North of $1600 ounce, prices have to go up...you do know that they are solid gold, right........

2. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

LOL solid gold, right.:happy102:happy102 at that the price woud be north of $2000.00 each. Intersting idea, though, Make a custom gold Futur 24K gold , .9999 fine. I'm sure it would have well and it would never ever tarnish. Probems is that the mechanisma that tightens down the doors would stretch eventually.

I got a Chrome for 50.00 including shipping, not the Gold model. Most places seem to be "add me to a waiting list".

3. Gibbs

Gibbs Member

Doug, it's still in the works at Dovo. Got an email about it and posted an update in the thread concerning the rumor of Merkur dropping the Gold plated Futur model.

Sad part about all this, was I was about to commit to buyting a polished Gold Futur this morning... amost. Dang...Just when I had a good excuse too... SHhhhh maybe SWMBO has not heard the news yet.. OOOOooooo

4. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thanks Vern and my Gold is all that I generally use in my rotation. It just shaves better than the others for some reason....my imagination, perhaps.

5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I just received a satin finish Futur with a nickel Swissco stand from eBay seller for $51. It looks almost brand new. I will give it a try with a Feather blade tomorrow morning. I saw there were a lot of admirers of the Futur and decided to buy one. I have a Merkur 38C Barberpole HD as my first DE razor and had trouble with nicks and razor burn. I have better luck with lighter DE razors and injector razors, but wanted to try the Futur. It is heavy, but feels really good to the hand.

6. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

My humble suggestion would be to start on a 2 setting and use a Shark, Voskhod, or more forgiving blade for your first shave. It is heavy as you mentioned and a light touch to let the razor heft do the work seems appropriate advice. Also, maybe a familiar razor with a smaller head might work best around the nose and mouth area for the first few shaves. Don't give up on it too soon. Cheers, Doug

7. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I am doing well with my Futur, dougr and using the cold water technique. BBS in 2 passes. Little extra work witht moustache area.

8. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Well, its back to the Futur for me and I have been using the "Futur" brush that came with the kit from a fellow member three years ago and really enjoy it as well. The metal bowl has a rough finish that helps with generating lather; does anyone have the Glass bowl? How do you like that compared to a metal one? The metal bowl also heats up very quickly and keeps my lather hot when I place it in a large coffee cup of hot water.

9. newb

newb Resident Newb

How did I miss this old Futur thread ? The Futur is awesome, I like mine set around 3, but I finish with buffing at 1. I've found that most blades will work well with a Futur. It is not blade choosy IMHO. And being big it is very nimble. A most excellent razor.

Smoothy likes this.
  10. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Hi newb, you got it and I almost think the Futur works better with good inexpensive blades like Voskhods, Sharks, carbon Treets, etc. I am a 3 setting kinda guy as well. enjoy