Merkur futur v Edwin Jagger DE89L

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Grazer1, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Grazer1

Grazer1 New Member

Hi Bobby and welcome, it's always encouraging to get a response to a post.
    Yeah I agree on the Derby Extras -they've been good for me.
    In descending order and combined with EJ89L so far I rate Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows, Gillette Super Thins, Derby Extras and Astra SP's. I've yet to try Feathers on the EJ as I used them on my first shave with a Futur and thought I should back off until I felt more confident. They seem to have quite a reputation! As my technique has improved in the intervening period my next step will be to try them out in the near future.
    Folks on here will give good advice and that includes instruction from those experienced and willing to impart it regarding practice, technique, prep, razor+blade combos and post shave skincare advice.
    Forgot to add YMMV !

2. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

Grazer1,

I sure hope I'll be able to get the hang of the DE razor without depleting my blood supply!:o

I know sometimes, even with my Mach 3, you have to be a little more careful with a brand new blade. By the second shave, it seems to shave a little better, but after about the 3rd or 4th, it starts getting dull.

I shaved two days in a row and after the second day results the same as the first, I thought I'd give it a rest for a couple of days before trying again. I don't know if I want to give the Derby blades one more go, or try the Sharks?? I think I'll try the Sharks. I read really high reviews of the Sharks, that's why I bought the 100 pack....I hope they shave good!:confused:

BTW, good luck with the EJ!

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Couple bits of advice - take it for what it's worth.

A) Get a blade sample pack. I don't like Derby, but that's me. I do like the Sharks. Look harder. You'll find some negative reviews on the Sharks, as well. Only by trying different blades will you find what works to your liking.

Second) NEVER buy in bulk a blade you've never tried. Sure, you're only out $15-$20 bucks if you don't like the blade, but that could have been money spent on a bulk purchase of a blade you did like from the above mentioned sample pack.

4. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

Thanks for the tip on blade buying. I actually read that somewhere else, but being stubborn, I went ahead and bought the 100 pak of sharks. I had seen so many positive reviews on them, I figured I'd be able to use them....and I still may, I just haven't tried one yet. I also read a couple of negatives, mainly about not getting many shaves.

I did pick up a pack of Wilkinson Sword at Wally World just to have something else to try. Figure I'll give the Derby a weeks worth before moving on.

Grazer1, for what it's worth, I've seen a lot more positives on the EJ than the Futur. Until finding this place, I would have never guessed that the DEs were still being made, must less how big the following is! I'm glad for newbies like me and you that everyone is so willing to share their knowledge.

5. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

Grazer1,

Thought I'd give you an update on my EJ DE89L. I had my 3rd shave with it today using the same Derby blade that I first put in it. After using some advice from members here on th forum, I must say I did MUCH better than my first two attempts!:happy093

I lightened up on my razor, only using the weight of the razor. Made 3 passes, WTG, XTG, ATG. Hardly any blood!:D And almost BBS.