Merkur Futur versus Merkur Vision

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Apr 4, 2012.

1. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

What razor is best, Futur or Vision? I know Vision costs double the price of Futur and Vision takes more maintenance and cleaning. Are they equally good shavers or is one better? Is Vision really safer for Newbies? Advantages. Disadvantages.

I have shaved with my Futur for a few days and love it. Would Vision be worth going for?

BigMike likes this.
  2. emolient

emolient New Member

Both are classic love-it-or-hate-it razors with fans who are likely to use similar arguments to support their preference. The mildest setting on the Vision is significantly less aggressive than is that of the Futur but both can be opened as wide as most people are ever likely to need. Claims about the Vision being a maintenance hog are rarely supported by its adherents and, in any case, it is built to be easily disassembled. The same operation with the Futur is far more difficult. There are also more frequent complaints about extra care being needed to ensure that both edges of the blade in a Futur are symmetrically positioned toward the safety bars, than is the case with the Vision.

The Vision is truly massive – something that is alternately regarded as an advantage and a deal breaker – and there's similar division about the utility of the Futur's snap-on cap. Both are idiosyncratic designs and, if for no other reason, probably not the best thing to put in the hands of a neophyte. Beyond that, as this thread is all but certain to indicate, there are folks who find the one to give a better shave than does anything else, and dismiss the other as worthless. I'd also expect it to be pointed out that vintage Gillette adjustables often are suitable entry-level razors -- assuming that an adjustable is a good place to start, at all.

As to the question about whether someone who really likes the one should also give the other a whirl -- given the personal nature of the thing, there's only one way to find out! Having gone that route myself, of the two, my preference is clearly for the Vision. The Futur, at its gentlest, is simply too aggressive for me.

BigMike and Tdmsu like this.
  3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Agree. The Futur shave had the feel of a solid, 'no nonsense' experience. For me the Vision's is a little Tinny feeling. For it's size and weight you would think the shave would be more 'substantial'.
    For the Price you can by a Gillette Toggle and have a nicer, classier shave!!

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have a Fatboy, slim adjustable and most of the other Gillette adjustables and Schick adjustable injector razors and do not get the close, easy shave I get with the Futur. But I am fairly new at this (3 months).

I got in too late from work a couple of nights ago and missed getting a Toggle for around $90 on eBay. Outbid by a dollar.

BigMike likes this.
  5. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

To me they both look like the robot Gort.. Klaatu barada nikto..:yoda2

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Ive tried both and for me the Vison is too big but still nice. but I liked my fatboy more, unlucky on the toggle they look nice;)

7. newb

newb Resident Newb

I like both, They are big but both shave very nimble. Vision to me is tops. I can crank down the aggressiveness of the vision and finish with some serious blade buffing. I've never experienced all of the maintenance issues or QC problems that are spewed across the web. The only problem I have with the Vision is the cost. Even though I prefer it over the Futur, I really don't believe it's that much better of a shaver, especially considering the substantial added cost.

Tdmsu likes this.
  8. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Lindy Geo Fatboy did a video on the Vision.. at least I hope it was the Vision, I get the Vision and Futur mixed up.. they both look like Gort. Might be worth a look if your considering this razor...

9. dreadpirate

dreadpirate Active Member

My brother has a Vision; it's huge. He thinks it's too big and clumsy.

10. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Thread back from the beyond!
    I recently got a Vision and I've used a Futur for much of last year. I think the Vision shaves closer - closest to a straight that I've tried - and a bit less comfortably than the Futur. Both give lots of blade feel, and both are excellent. As my technique with the Vision improves, the more I prefer it because I can get very close without even opening it all the way. If I dial it down just a bit, it is very comfortable, and still the closest DE shave I've ever had.

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Didnt the Vision has some pretty serious quality issues?

12. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Mine seems very well built. It is the one without the set screw.

13. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Both the Futur and the Vision have issues, but they are good shavers no doubt. Sadly for Merkur Chinese companies have got the hold of the patent or simply back engineered the razor to an almost exact copy at a much lower cost, bad for Merkur but good for the customers

14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, I just got a Chinese Ming Shih, in a PIF. It looks just like the Futur.