Merkur Futur vs. Merkur Slant 39c vs. Mühle R41

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Grick, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Grick

Grick Active Member

Arguably among the most aggressive razors, though efficient sounds more accurate.
    Having used all three, here's my humble opinion:

The Futur is the most efficient of the three. At stage 3 you get the closest shave imaginable, with almost any blade. You can hear and feel each whisker cut off. I occassionally get a few nicks but nothing serious. Thanks to its heavy weight, the razor does all the work without skipping.

The Merkur Slant is almost as heavy as the Futur - 110 vs 120 g. Having heard how aggressive it supposedly is, I was surprised how mild it is. Thanks to the slant bar it still cuts through the whiskers with ease. Still, it requires a bit more work to get the same results as with the Futur. But it's more mild than the Futur and I don't nick myself as easily. I dare say it's a good beginner's razor and I don't get all the talk about its aggressiveness.

The R 41 is definitely more aggro than the Slant but not quite up there with the Futur and weighs only about 90 g. Only loaded with a Feather blade can I get the same results as with the Futur. And even then, I have to work harder to get all the whiskers and pay more attention to skipping. If I use anything less sharp than a Feather, I just can't clean up my trouble spots.

All in all, I can recommend all three razors. My favorite: the Futur as it yields the closest shave with any blade. If you're a novice, get the Slant. Yes, I said it. Get the "Sledgehammer."

Edison Carter, Terry and feeltheburn like this.
  2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I agree with you. The Futur is one of my favorite DE's. I sold my 39c off a long time ago. I just didn't feel it sliced the whiskers any easier than a normal DE and I got better shaves from lots of other razors. The R41 works pretty well for me at a steep angle but sometimes gives me a little irritation that I never have to worry about with the Futur.

Grick likes this.
  3. Grick

Grick Active Member

Thanks for the input.
    Considering the small blade gap, the Slant cuts better than how it would cut with a straight bar and the same small blade gap imho.

4. Nem22

Nem22 Well-Known Member

What is interesting is that the Future is effective with all blades.
    I use Voskhod blades, soft and tolerant