Merkur Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Reviews' started by madmedic, Feb 18, 2007.

1. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

The Futur is one of the "sexiest" razors around. It is often the choice of gentlemen who are new to wetshaving with a DE....based almost entirely on looks!

This razor is supplied in 3 finishes.....Polished Chrome, Matt Chrome, and Gold. It is a solid heavy tool....and in the correct hands , with a quality blade can give unbelievable shaves.

Pros: Adjustability, Aggressiveness, Shave Quality

Cons: Adjustability, Aggressiveness, Grip, Blade Replacement Procedure.

Looks as if I have conflicting views.....but no ....... definitely not. This was my first DE....and I approached my shave with a "Trekki" attitude. I wanted to "Boldly go where no man has gone before". Result.....copious amounts of blood loss and razor burn:( Adjustability and Aggressiveness can be a pro..or a con...depending on your approach. The Grip can be a little slippy...but personally I have had no problems, ....and I have the brushed and gold finishes. The blade replacement procedure, I think is unique to this razor. The top just snaps off and the blade can then be replaced. Not really sure how the blade remains stable....it just does!

The Futur is a wild animal waiting to be tamed. Using good technique and no pressure this razor will give absolutely amazing shaves. I personally had to learn DE technique and then revisit the experience and it is now a pleasure to use in my rotation

Brian

2. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

The Futur is a very good razor with beautiful aesthetics.
    Mine is the brushed satin model and it is gorgeous.
    Not the 1st one to say this but.......
    the SOUND of the Futur is unmistakable and very, very cool ;)
    I'm still learning to use her properly but the razor has potential.
    Full adjustible from mild to brutal, you can make the Futur perform to your specifications.
    I like mine on "3" with a Derby.

3. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

I'm a Believer

Have been using an HD for awhile & wanted to try out an adjustable. Bought
    a SatinFinish FUTUR from QED & have been shaving with it for week.

I've been getting absolutely incredible shaves at the 1 & 1.5 setting & am going to bump it up a notch weekly until I hit the level of aggression that's right for my beard. The shave's at 1 & 1.5 have been so superb that I can't wait to keep dialing up but am remaining disciplined about the 0.5 bump a week. So next week it's 1.5 & 2.0, then 2.5 & 3.0, and so on till I can't open it up comfortably any more.

This razor shaves just as good & comfortably around my nostrils & filtrum as my HD does. I started using a GEM recently to do the finish work around my nose & corners of the lips.

I give it an A+ on design. A lot of thought went into creating this mower.

I give it an A+ on price. These can be had for around $50 new on the internet. That's a steal for an instrument of this quaility.

As far as standard, run-of-the-mill complaints and carping about the Futur:

1) It's hard to hold. What a bunch of BS. The razor is a finely balanced instrument & if you hold it by the "collar" which is it's center of balance, it's as easy to hold as any razor. Merkur's engineering staff did a great job on
    balancing this mower perfectly.

2) It's slippery. While I'd prefer some "cross-hatching" like my HD, I've not had any problem with the handle being slippery. LOL...If you've got Cremo+Cream on your hands it would probably be wise to towel clean your hands before gripping any razor.

3) Changing blades is "tricky" or (laughably) "dangerous". Another crock. The
    cap has a "nub" on one side & if you pop the top off that side first, changing
    a blade is easier & safer than with my HD. The Futur's cap is ingenious, an
    inspired idea. Hope whoever designed that part got a nice bonus & raise.

4) It's hard to "adjust" on the "fly". Maybe I just don't get it but my adjustor
    adjusts very easily & unless you've got a ham fist I don't see how it could
    be difficult to adjust. Of course, you have to actually pay attention to what you're doing for like 2 seconds. Maybe those having problems have Attention Deficit Disorder or something.

Am beginning to think that most of the guys who criticize the Futur have never used one, they're just "theorizing" & feeding on one another's crazy
    "design" theory's.

The FUTUR is a total winner in my book. Guess, it's like everything else in
    Wet-Shaving...YMMV

4. smooth_n_slick

smooth_n_slick New Member

Merkur Futur Chrome

This is a beautiful razor, I have the chrome version. IT awesome shaves well almost with any type of blade I use, I had a vision and got rid of it as well as some satin futurs. The Chrome one look and performs ultra cool, my finish is way better then the satin razors, and I thing it will shine for a very long time. Recommended highly!
    Has good heft and size, not small or finicky like the older gillettes and IMHO blows away ths Gillettes, those are also gone. :happy102

5. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I've been DE shaving for about 7 months now after starting with a 40's style Super Speed. The HD is a good shaver, not perfect, but very good. I was actually able to do a three pass shave and get a DFS without any real problems. I was never able to do that with the Super Speed.

The build quality on mine was fine, and it's very affordable at just under $30.00. The short handle which helps me manouver it around my face much like the Super Speed. The handle is thicker and heavier than my Super Speed, which helps me keep a better grip on it when my hand is bothering me. It's a very straightforward razor suitable for a beginner or a more experienced shaver. My HD will definitely keep a prominent place in my rotation.

6. magic

magic New Member

I have no problem with the grip and the price was right. Because of the weight no pressure and 2 passes does it.
    WTG/ATG/XTG(chin area)

This is one heck of a razor and mine is polished chrome.

7. CloseShaver

CloseShaver Member

The Futur

An all around great razor. It is heavy. I like the aggressivenes. It make the feather too sharp. Be careful, but enjoy a close shave.

8. Justin Low

Justin Low Member

Not the cheapest, but certainly one of the most effective.

I've been using the Futur for about a month now, and I think it's hands-down the most boring razor I've used.

Boring? It's the great equalizer. Pretty much any blade you put in it shaves well. The shaves are predictably good, day after day.

Weight
    The weight is comfortable, and makes the razor feel solid.

Balance
    Holding it at the narrower portion of the handle, the balance is perfect. Twirling the razor to change to the other side of the head is easy.

Blade Exposure
    I keep mine mostly at 1 or 1.5. One thing of note, at least on mine, is that the head is a little "loose". It can rotate a little in it's fitting, so I have to ensure that it's aligned correctly before I start shaving. I've docked points on account of this.

Ease of use
    Changing blades is easy, and so is adjusting the razor. I don't find it particularly dangerous or tricky at all.

Grip
    On WTG passes, I hold it upright; XTG and ATG passes, like a pencil or soup spoon with the head downwards. Haven't had a problem with it slipping or feeling insecure.

Price
    I bought it for $50, used, from JimR here on TSD. It's a nice price. New prices vary from $55 - 70+ (at this writing). Not the cheapest razor, but for me, it's worth the money.

9. Astrobufff

Astrobufff New Member

The Futur enjoys a pretty fearsome reputation and I was honestly worried when I ordered it.

I have grown from a very mild Feather Popular 800-1B to a slightly more aggressive Indian Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling.

In time I used two cut blade blanks (used blades from which the cutting edges were cut off to be used as "spacers") to increase the blade gap and make the sterling more aggressive. That was good.

Then the Satin-finished Futur arrived.

Following instructions, I put in a 2-shave old Supermax Platinum Plus blade known to be smooth and reasonably sharp and turned the setting down to 1. The shave was very similar to the Feather and required multiple passes.
    Soon I was turning it up all the way to 5 (this was my first shave with the Futur) to find my comfort level.

So what did I notice? The Futur works beautifully at opened out settings with a SMOOTH blade as opposed to a sharp blade. Most complaints on forums have been with a sharp but slightly rough blade in the Futur. Feathers are smooth and so are the Astra Super Platinums. Most of the Indian Supermax range are smooth - Zorrik Platinum, Stainless Plus, Platinum Plus and the Vidyut Supermax.

Maintain a light touch. Zero pressure and the Futur glides over your face decimating all hair in its path. Use pressure, and your epidermis shall float down the sink along with your hair. Not to mention, you shall "see red".

Secondly, palm strop a new blade to remove the rough burring from the grinding process and the Futur is a sports car to drive. Pop in a blade straight from the wrapper and the blade does bite when new (with settings set on wide.)

Leaving the blade gap open shaves very close. You require just 2 passes, one WTG and one ATG to achieve BBS. Close the gap and you require 3 passes or sometimes 4.

Post shave irritation is always lower with less passes and so is the alum sting. That is what we all want, isn't it? Now the only place the Alum stings is the area of the neck above the Adam's apple.

Yes, the head is large but you adjust quickly enough to it. The nose was an obstruction to the Futur that I had read about, but never had the misfortune to encounter. I do have a large beak-shaped nose and a thin face.

Before using the Futur, I unscrewed the handle and put in 2 drops of Mobil 1 5W50 (the fabled engine oil). The oil is heat stable (in case you sun-dry your razor) and super smooth (Molybdenum Disulphide at work) and long lasting as a lube. Now changing settings mid-shave, with wet and soapy hands is not an issue at all. No slipping and cutting your fingers. The spring loaded mechanism prevents accidental change of settings.

The grip even with soapy hands is hardly slippery.

Blade change is simple. Spring open the head while holding the razor upside down close to the platform and allow the old blade to safely fall onto a towel. Holding the razor upright while springing the chamber causes the blade to eject awkwardly and in a potentially dangerous manner..

This is a modern engineering marvel. Not perfect. But very good, nonetheless.

If we the user, rose to even half the level that the Futur is technologically and technically, we would be thoroughly satisfied, even pleasantly surprised.

Here is a partner that begs you to experiment and explore its capabilities and reap a handsome and just reward. However if you treat it as a slave, that has to cover up for all your shortcomings and corner cutting in procedure and techniques, you shall find it extremely unforgiving.

Either way, you shall only get what you deserve.

barbersurgeon likes this.