Merkur HD- What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mike in VT, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Mike in VT

Mike in VT New Member

Okay, I know the Merkur HD is hugely popular. I owned one when I first got into DE shaving. However, I just wasn't comfortable with it. It seemed to drag way too much, maybe due to the 'pointy' safety bar. So before giving up on DE shaving, I obtained a Gillette SS from Ebay. Well, two years later, I'm still DE shaving because of my success with that razor.

So I can't help but ask.....was I doing something wrong with the HD? I know the SS and HD have two completely different safety bars, but it there a trick to using the Merkur?

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Probably nothing wrong at all.

Razors can be much like the blades them self with variables on your shave, with heft, blade exposure, etc..

3. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

Don't sweat it - I tried just about every razor I could before settling one that works the best for me.

4. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I never really liked my HD either.....its found a good home.
    Also had and sold / traded:

Futur
    Techs
    Weishi
    Slant
    Fat Boy

Thats been part of the journey: Finding the right combos of stuffs.
    Now its down to 4 brushes and 6 razors (2 of which I'm sure will be gone in a while. I just had to try em :cool:)

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I didnt like the HD to start with but I've gone back to it and it is one of my favorite razors now. I love it with a bunch of the less talked about blades such as super platinums.

6. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I'm guessing you've noticed, but the necessary angle is quite different with the HD. IMHO the merkur HD is a great razor. Don't give up on it.

7. Exeter

Exeter New Member

I've only been with the HD for about a week now, which probably isn't time enough to adjust, but I'm having pretty serious trouble getting the right angles in all spots. I can make three passes all over and still have lots of patches. My face IS quite curvy due to various skeletal and tissue-related factors, so its difficult even with a cartridge razor, but I'm thinking something a little less...enclosed would be a better bet. I'll keep going another two months probably before I start looking for something else.

edit: HOWEVER -- I may be coming into a Schick Injector in the next couple of days, FOR FREE. So...I may give that a whirl.

8. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I would have the say that the HD is much more aggressive than an SS (I dont know about the red tips?). Thats what I've come to find.