Merkur Progress.....or Slant?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by madmedic, May 7, 2007.

1. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I have both of these razors.....but havent written a review on either(......slap on the wrists)

Need some input here. Tell me all about your experiences with either of these. razors!

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I have a slant in the mail, will do a review in time.

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Don't have a Progress. Slant on order. If you want, I can order a Progress and 100 Feathers and let you know in about 2 weeks. :D Sorry I can't be more help.

4. madmedic

Would not want to be responsible for any AD......but if you need the excuse.....go for it;)

Just trying to draw a line between collection and necessity. At this point I should say goodbye. I may be banned for being non-PC on a shaving forum.

Fellow Gentleman and Ladies..........Post and give me your YMMV opinions!!

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

No need. I understand. I've cut my Shaving AD down by 60%. I swear! Even if you said you needed to shave with a chipped flint and rendered animal fat you'd still be PC shave forum. Heck, you'd probably get 10 people wanting to know where you bought the stuff and how it came out. :D

6. madmedic

Well in that case......without damaging yourself......go for it....and let me know what you think:D

7. madmedic

Seriously though.....they are both fantastic.....just tell me!!!!
    A Poll is an easy way out.....I need convinced!!!!!

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I had a Progress, but then I gave it, as well as my Vision to my dad. My only DE now, is my Parker 22R.

9. Smedley

Smedley New Member

Used a Slant for two shaves, then returned it to Jim @ Vintage Blades because Merkur QC was off and the chroming on the bottom cap of the blade holder was basically peeling off.

Jim was a real gentleman to deal with, and I am hoping the returned Slant flies through Customs so I can get the replacement from him flying back. The Slant gave me two of the best shaves yet, really enjoyed them. Zero irritation and BBS with much less effort than I normally expend to achieve that end result.

10. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I have both. I definitely prefer the Progress: its just more flexible (performance-wise) and forgiving. The Slant is more-or-less like an HD except with a Feather blade. With a Feather its verrrrry aggressive and verrrry intolerant of bad technique: one slip and its blood-city :ashamed001 . IMHO.

--Mark

11. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Short commentary

Both the Slant and the Progress are excellent shavers in different ways

Progress -> the adjustability is a big plus. You can have it shave like a lamb, or open it up and get real close. Blade-eveness is an issue with these, so it does sometimes take a small amount of "monkeying around" to get it right.

Slant -> Excellent whisker-whacking ability. Does not shave like a lamb, but if used carefully/properly, will yield an extraordinary BBS shave.

Both razors give a nice flex to the blade, which is something I find to work very well for my skin.

12. Damon

Damon Member

this might sound stupid but how is the slant used?

13. Will

Will Nevermind

Same way as an HD but pay a little more attention and you will be fine! :D

14. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I took some pics to illustrate the differences between HD and slant:

PICS

And, as Doc said, you shave the same way....but have to pay closer attention to angle with the slant. Reward is exceptionally close shave :happy088

15. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I have just gotten my Slant and I must say its an exellent shaver.. I feel that the agressive nature of the Slant is a bit hyped.. As with any razor it needs a bit of technique and awerness - It is a sharp edge in it..

To all of you who is thinking about the Slant - go ahead, it delivers very nice shaves..

16. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Merkur Progress

I'm trying very hard to like my Progress, but I just can't get there. I find it cumbersome and ugly; feels and looks like a big chunk of metal fashioned into a razor with little finesse. I get a satisfactory shave with it, but it doesn't feel right in my hand and I spend a lot of time peering around the head to see what I'm doing. I much prefer my English Rocket and SS, both in terms of performance and looks; they are both very solid razors, but look refined and immaculantly built. The Progress in comparison is crude and oafish. I've just purchased "fat-boy" adjustable so it'll be interesting to see it up against the Progress - in looks and performance.

17. madmedic

I still haven't posted reviews on either. Normally I try to be very positive....but in this case I would have to try hard not to be too negative.Both are very good razors.....but I think I would prefer the Slant over the Progress. My Problem is that I can get as good ....if not better shaves with the ordinary 34C HD.

IMHO the Progress comes nowhere near the Futur for BBS shaves. Whereas the Slant can come close.

18. Rufus

Rufus New Member

Madmedic, why would you normally try to be positive when reviewing something, if in fact you are not entirely positive in your heart? Why not try to be dispassionate and file an objective review discussing all "the warts and hairs" as you see them? Readers may or may not agree with your assessment, but so what: to me a valuable review is one that it gives the reviewer's unvarnished opinion even though I may not agree with it.

19. Will

Will Nevermind

20. fritz

fritz New Member

Me Too!

I just had the first two shaves with my new Slant Friday and Saturday. I was quite surprised that after the first pass, my stubble felt like it usually did after the second pass! I only needed 2 passes, instead of my usual 3+touch-up. Yet no blood or irritation.

While I'm partial to long, hefty razors (LHC, Futur, Vision), I must admit that the Slant seems easy to hold and handle. Not only that, but in gold it really looks classy. And very reasonably priced, even in gold, at least from Vintage. I think I'll keep it:D! (I'll keep my others, too. A little variety is one of the things to enjoy about a good shave.)