Merkur Progress.....or Slant?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by madmedic, May 7, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

That, my friend, is what this madness is all about :D

2. fritz

fritz New Member

And all this time I thought it was just to get a really good shave:D

But now that you mention it, I can see that the need for variety might actually be (at least part of) the driving force fueling our various ADs. Hmmm, have to think about that, during my next shave...:p

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I have a Gold Slant. I used IP blades and I enjoyed the results, BBS everytime. Soon thereafter I made the move to straight razors. I guess I'm waiting for the Gold Slant to hit $150 again:D I still give it a ride every now and then.

Raf

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I have a gold Slant....very rare ;)
    and I have found it works best for me with Derbys
    and ONLY for WTG passes.
    When I need a quickie, its my go-to razor.
    Almost BBS in 2 passes (except on that tricky neck area)

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

It's always that tricky neck area. :D

7. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I have a 39C and just sold my mergress.

The Barberpole slant I find to be a very fine razor, but can be a little rough if careless or if I overshave an area. I don't get nicks often, but it can cause some irritation in some tricky areas. I have found though, that in some trouble spots that take many passes with other razors, the slant cuts through quickly and smoothly. Nothing is more effective on my jawline and under the chin. I don't use it everday, but I doubt I will ever get rid of it.

The mergress was just okay for me. Because I'm not interested in having a collection of razors (soaps are another matter), I sold it already. I think the stainless steel knob made it a pretty bottom heavy, and it felt too small in my hand. It also had the problem where you had to fiddle with the blade to try and get the exposure even.

8. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

The Progress is one of my favorite razors.
    The slant requires an adjustment in technique for me, since I rotate 6-8 razors when I'd return to the slant I'd have to relearn it.
    Therefore it is out of the rotation.