Merkur Progress

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dadvest, Jan 18, 2012.

1. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

I pulled the trigger on a Progress on the bay last week. The guy had only used it 5 times and had bought it in December. It was the long handle one so I pulled the trigger and picked it up for about $45. It came yesterday and I disinfected it and loaded a Personna Lab in it for today's shave. I really like the heft of it in my hand and had no issues with it any where, including my head shave. I settled out on 4.5 setting which took care of most everything with only a wee bit of buffing on a 3. I found the shave akin to my beloved Fatboy and just less aggressive than the R41 who was biting me every time I use it lately. So I would have to give this razor 2 thumbs up and a whoop de do.

2. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I love my Progress. Here lately, I have been setting it on a 7 setting. This, after having used my sons 41R. I do a 3 pass shave and come out with a squeaky clean shave that is most always a DFS and more times than not a BBS. I try and use only a Feather blade in it, which seems to work best for my taste.

alpla444 and battle.munky like this.
  3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I really like the Progress. If it weren't for that cheap crappy knob. I know it can get upgraded but still, you'd think for the money, they could eek out a metal knob.

alpla444 and IAmTheJody like this.
  4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Yeah tahts the only thing that has put me off getting one, its the cheap plastic knob.

5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I have a brand new, never before used, Mergress knob that fits the Progress XL. If anyone is interested, PM me.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband got the Merkur Progress about 3 weeks ago. He likes it quite a bit , and the plastic knob doesn't seem to bother him.

7. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Last year I bought a metal knob from CoonCat Bob so I could retire the plastic one on my Progress. Like everything that Bob makes, it was a thing of beauty, gleaming, metalic perfection, and it made the Progress look great. But then I felt nostalgic for the white knob! I know it sounds crazy, but I missed it. I decided that the plastic knob was part of the character of the Progress and part of what I liked so much about it, so I put it back on the razor and sold the beautiful metal knob here on TSD.

I really do love my Progress. For me it works great with a sharp blade like Iridium (I bought a stash of those while they were still available). It doesn't do as well with milder blades for me. I use mine on the milder settings, 3 for first pass on a 2 day stubble, then back to 1 after that initial pass.

I have other razors, but lately I find that I use my Progress for a week or two, then my EJ DE89 for a week or two. My vintage Gillettes sit on the display rack.

8. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

That a nice razor at a very fair price. Enjoy.