Merkur "Slant" vs. HD - Pics

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TraderJoe, May 13, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Attached are some pics to illustrate differences between the HD slant and the HD classic: [Slant in gold, HD in chrome]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the slant is "slanted" :D.....and causes the blade to bend AND twist at the same time, resulting in a scything action on the whisker as opposed to slicing.

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Great pics, Joe! :D

3. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

:sihns011 :signs107 :signs154

4. Damon

Damon Member

I see now, thanks Joe, thats what I needed some pics to see.

5. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Nice job Joe. Very informative. Like that camera huh?

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

--------------->:happy108

7. -PO-

-PO- New Member

I see the difference between the two but how big of a difference is there in shaving the face? Do you get a better shave? Different shave? Do you still shave the same such as N-S, XTG, ATG and how does it differ? Sorry for so many questions but I would like to know if it is worth a purchase for me :D

8. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I shave with my Slant just as I would any other razor and find that I can get a great shave with fewer passes, and virtually no need for "clean up". They just seem to reduce the whiskers more easily. And if you ever want to really step it up, use a Slant with a Feather -- yowzaa! :D

9. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    The slant is much more aggressive.

10. -PO-

-PO- New Member

Thanks guys, looks like I have a slant in the very near future :D Can anyone say AD!!!! :happy102

11. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

If you are talking about razor AD, you're preaching to the choir! :D

12. -PO-

-PO- New Member

Oh I know you have RAD looking at all the purchase you have made from e-bay:D

13. whiskerlips

whiskerlips Member

I really like the shape of the head of the slant. I find that it gets under the nose very precisely. I traded my 38C after buying this. It's not as mean as it looks really.

14. Duckster

Duckster Wabbit Season!

I traded my regular HD for an HD slant and I'm glad I did. I'll have to try it with a feather some day.

15. otipoby

otipoby Member

I never really understood what a Merkur slant was until I saw the pictures. Thanks for the visual explanation.

16. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

OH, so slants are gold... I get it. ;) Nice pictures! Do you happen to have a scale that you could compare the weights?

17. Fortran

Fortran New Member

Hi Guys

I wanna buy a new Merkur soon, and I was wondering which of these two would be better. I am looking for something that would give a clean shave, but less cuts and nicks. I tried the Feather TTO and sound that to be moderately mild on the face. I think I would like something a little more aggressive but not too much.

Thanks

18. Monkey

Monkey New Member

"scything" action?

Does this mean I have to wear chains and sing the blues if I use one? :confused:

19. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

I just picked one up at Truefitt & Hill in Chicago, I cant wait to use it!

20. fritz

fritz New Member

Both the Slant and the HD can be bought in gold plate or chrome plate.