Method Shaving...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by MikekiM, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Of late, I am not hearing much of anything from the Method Shaving community... Has it lost what little popularity it had?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Seems like it. I know with the old TSD format there was a forum dedicated to Method Shaving. Apparently just not enough interest to warrant carrying it over to our current format.

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Ok. What is Method Shaving??
    Please.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Charles Roberts creator and also makes the products used. It seems like a lot of effort but, those who like it swear by it. His website is enchante I believe and his store is in Austin, Texas.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. iambatman85

iambatman85 Well-Known Member

6. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Thank you. Shaving procedure makes sense. The creation of the lather needing 3 products??? Now sure??

7. MikekiM

Shaving faster.. that will not be one of my goals with wet shaving..

Norseman likes this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I imagine it had more to do with software quirks, as I for one would love to see a return of the review forum. The arcade would be nice to.

9. MikekiM

I never visited the arcade, but I remember it..

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Charles Roberts is in Austin and it is he who got Mark Herro (Mantic) more involved in Traditional Shaving before he started his video series around 2006.

The Roberts Method of Wet Shaving (RMWS) is his pattern of shaving and instruction methods. Many people do use his methods and products with great success.
    He has his own terminology (over and above standard Tradition Shaving terminology) which can be off putting to some.
    The only thing that bothers me is how fast he shaves. It makes me nervous, but it is a part of his method and presentation.

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nope, Steve is correct.

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Hmm...So I take it there was not enough interest in reviews to justify carrying them over as well?

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    No, the reviews and arcade were not part of the core software. They were add-ons.

Sparky and I are keeping an eye on possible replacements for some add-ons.

14. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Idea! Is there a way we can set up a video conference kind of thing with them were we could actually watch the method and ask questions in real time? Would be interesting.

15. Williams Warrior

I doubt it but you could try calling Charles. He has a reputation of spending hours with people in person or on the phone if needed. All reports I've read about him is that he's as nice a person as can be found.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Sounds like an interesting thing to do. Thank you.

17. Shanester66

Shanester66 New Member

Whoa...that seems like a lot of products and a pretty cumbersome morning of shave prep....:signs002:

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Someone once made the comment that it was easier because you didn't have to make so many choices about what to use for each shave or change how you shave with each different razor/blade combo.
    I politely told them that I like the change and the challenge of using different products every morning.

FacialCarnage likes this.
  19. MikekiM

I can't remember where I saw them, but there are are tons of videos of Method Shaving out there somewhere... I agree about change being part of what appeals to me.. Going back to one product line, one system, one software... Might as well dig out the old fusion handle I threw to the back of the under-sink cabinet..

20. Williams Warrior

Over the years I've thought about ordering the starter kit to just try it but, I couldn't imagine being able to hold onto the straight razor if that stuff is as slick as the reports of it are.