Mild Shavers Thread-Techs,TTOs,Anything mild!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Do you consider a Gillette Red Tip mild?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It Depends on the day

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I understand your post. You do not sound arrogant and your English is very good. However, just because there is more blade "showing" does not mean that the user has more slicing options. Indeed, on these type of razors, there is exponentially more room for user error, because maintaining the angle is more difficult, with mistakes leading to blood and/or irritation; whereas if I lose the angle on my Feather AS-D2, I don't draw blood, I just fail to remove hair.
    I guess you could make the argument that one can "scrape" the hairs off of the face, but aren't we all striving for the best and most efficient angle to smoothly remove hair and cause as little damage to the epidermis as possible? I am picking nits, admittedly. I am just of the opinion that blade expose has very little to do with achieving a BBS shave.

I completely agree with you that there are those out there that use the excuse "this razor is just too mild" as justification for poor shaves.

brit, MR41, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

You just made me realize the origin of the term being "nit picky". And its rather gross.

Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Primotenore

Article Team
    :scared003:

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thursday, May 31
    [​IMG]
    PAA 11235~~Rubberset 400/3~~Gillette Senator~~Feather~~4711 Kölnisch Wasser
    The mild Senator turned rabid dog and bit me after loosening the handle 1/4 turn. :happy102:
    Only a minimal blood-letting. Makes me wonder if rather than more blade exposure, blade "chatter" might be to blame.
    (It's never user error) ;)

MacDaDad, brit, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

MR41 and Primotenore like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy097::signs136: ... :signs081:

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

From this ...
    Stocksy_txpba7ef914jvq100_Medium_1493631-5a8ef3d404d1cf003616d6f3.jpg

To this ...
    images-2.jpeg

All in a quarter turn.
    :eatdrink013:

8. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I agree. I kind of had to laugh one time when Razor Emporium made a video about beginner razors and they compared the Weishi, Parker and Edwin Jagger. They said that the Weishi was so mild that it wasnt even cutting hair, to the point where he made a point of throwing the razor away because it was supposedly so bad. You think someone who owns a razor shop would have enough skill to know their angles but my guess is that he doesnt sell Weishis because theres no much money to be made in selling them, so why recommend them? LOL

HMan, Engblom, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  9. Badgerstate

No worries. I didnt take it as sounding arrogant at all.

10. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

20180531_192742.jpg The epsilon blue is a perfect match for Razorock blue barbershop, a tad bit spicier but fades into a perfect match.

brit, MR41, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  11. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I have a weishi and it shaves fine, if you shave long enough with multiple razors you will get to a point were you can make anything work. I think one issue is most forums have members who push aggresive razors and blades, so many people love to talk about feathers and r41s, im pretty sure most de shavers start with a weishi or 89 and move up to the r41 and feather combo because they think thats what you are supposed to do, thats the most common answer to the "how to get a closer shave" question, but its only one answer, learning how to use angle towards your advantage opens up so many more razors to use. It has also allowed me to be able and use most blades, and i can pull off a bbs with most razor and blade combos, in the end though if feathers and an r41 makes you happy then that is all that matters.

12. Badgerstate

I had a nice shave tonight with my Weishi, Ying Jili blade, Yaqi boar brush and some Captain's Choice Sandalwood. The Ying Jili was fine. I'd say it was very comparable to a Personna Blue: sharp and very smooth.

13. Primotenore

Article Team
    The Senator is a mild razor. Still capable of giving a BBS shave.
    [​IMG]
    Chatillon Lux~~Morris & Forndran~~Gillette Senator~~Personna 74 (1)
    Have a great day!

MacDaDad, AGHisBBS, brit and 6 others like this.
  14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

D067631D-ADB1-41EF-810F-A475DECA10B2.jpeg
    A Tale of shaves this week with Stirling glacials. I get some of the best shaves from this Weishi!

AGHisBBS, brit, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I think it maybe unhealthy how much I enjoy your photos of that senator:)

16. Primotenore

Article Team
    You'll be ok. ;)

AGHisBBS, MR41 and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Badgerstate

Tonight, I shaved with my Weishi Long Handle and the 2nd use of the Ying Jili blade. I think that I like the Weishi LH a bit better than the VDH because its a bit heavier but the blade seemed to be still going strong on the 2nd use. I rode the cap to a nice, 2-pass DFS. I didnt even do an ATG pass (3 XTG passes) and it still got me to about 90% BBS with no nicks or irritation. All in all, a great shave.

AGHisBBS and MR41 like this.
  18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

FWIW, VdH now sells a version with the long handle.

MR41 likes this.
  19. Badgerstate

Thats cool. I personally dont really care about the longer handle, I just like that theyre heavier but I can see why some people like the long handle, especially if its a newbie coming from carts and disposables. I remember when I first used a razor with a shorter, Bulldog style handle and I thought, "this thing is too short!"

MR41, brit, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  20. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

16BF031F-C5DF-4FB0-82F3-2ECD5A106922.jpeg
    This is my dollar store special:) Assured brand

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018