Mild Shavers Thread-Techs,TTOs,Anything mild!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Do you consider a Gillette Red Tip mild?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It Depends on the day

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have shaved with several Red Tips and they will give a REAL close shave, but I prefer the standard Flare better, English Flare BEST. I get a fool proof shave without pussy footing, but for under the nose I like a pre war Tech.

MR41 likes this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I find an English Flare is right between an American Flare and a Red Tip.

brit likes this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

How hard to find are English Flair tips?

Enrico likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i use my #20 small head english flare tip(same head as a black handle) most of the time and get great no drama dfs/bbs shaves. i have a 50s version on the way(taller head). its always my need a quick shave razor,daily driver as they say. i have been using my u.s. aristocrats lately on sundays.
    all of my gillettes seem mild enough with the blade gaps being 4-6 as compared to a slim or fatboy. the aristocrats have heavier handles.my red tip bit me so i gave it away.when i have heavy growth i use a new sc or new deluxe. my single ring and old types are now only for display.i don t like the weepers all the time.
    i need to use my techs more,flat bottom,canadian prewar etc but i tend to need more pick ups after pass 3.more practice i guess. any way i love all the tto razors u.s. english ,ss aristocrats, rockets 40s -60s and consider them to be mild but efficient for me. just my opinion of course...

5. brit

brit in a box

they come up on ebay on a regular basis,most of the time in good shape. $35- 50 range.

MR41 likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I got mine off ebay for about $20 including shipping, but I saw one on Saturday go for $18.

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

For a mild injector, look no further than the Gillette injector that was made in the early 1970s. Loaded with twin blades (what it was made for) it’s on par with any Schick. Load a regular single blade and it’s a pussycat. It’s an easy and uneventful shave. Two passes are required for a DFS. I think it’s impossible to nick or cut yourself with this razor.

brit likes this.
  8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

They're not quite the same to me. The Weishi is closer to the black handled SS to me. There's a very very slight difference between the 40's and the later ones. Haven't pinned it down.

9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I think the variation on angle is smaller on the 40’s style. Its a tighter range of “correct”. Is the black handle superspeed different from the regular superspeed?

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That sounds good. I asked because I ‘ve only seen one English superspeed( but I haven’t been looking) in 3-4 years and it went for almost $50.

11. Bookworm

The black handled SuperSpeeds were the last line made, and they went through the 80's. They are shaped like the Flare tip SS, but don't have the three variations (Blue, Red, Silver). They're aluminum handles, brass heads. I found that the 40's SS worked the best (for me), and the Aristocrat is about the same.

MacDaDad, brit and william beer like this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That is really good to know. The lighter handle is one of the things I like about the Weishi. And I’ve heard a well known you tube guy say that the 9306 is similar to the aristocrat as well.

13. Bookworm

I should correct myself a bit. It wasn't the last use of the TTO head, but it was the last of the SuperSpeeds. They then had the Knack/G2000/Slim Twist/Super Slim Twist. All used the same head, but a slightly different unscrewing point.

MR41 likes this.
  14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Based on your information, I'd like to trade the 40's superspeed for a black handle superspeed:)

15. Bookworm

Don't take my word on it exclusively. There's a huge thread about the SuperSpeeds over on the striped rodent page. It's by mgbbrown (It's actually the post war world, but has a lot on the differences and similarities between the versions)

16. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

You know I googled striped rodent twice before I got it:)

Halvor, AGHisBBS and Bookworm like this.
  17. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

I'm currently using an Aristocrat daily but I've read that people consider it a mid-aggressive shaver. I find it that way too (using Astra Sp blades) but I'm now realizing that it may depend on the type of blade used in it. I'll have to try a more gentile blade in the thing because of the sensitive skin on my neck area. I guess the terms "mild" and "aggressive" are subjective.

Yehuda D and Enrico like this.
  18. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

I like your avatar. I felt that way on the links yesterday.

Yehuda D, Enrico and brit like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The Stahly head is the best mild shaver I've ever used. It's silent in going about its work but it knocks it down with the absolute best.Tech, Mamba adios. Superspeeds? Please. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    brit and MR41 like this.
  20. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member