Mild Shavers Thread-Superspeeds,Techs,TTOs,Anything mild!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Do you consider a Gillette Red Tip mild?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It Depends on the day

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

My dos centavos is that nobody has been "talking out of their asses" - what a delightful expression. :(

We're all different with different skin, different beards and different technique. This is all just again the folly of so-called objective testing. If a razor feels mild to someone then it's mild and if it feels aggressive then it is to them. And of course, a mild razor, or a not-so-mild razor, is neither somehow better or worse.

Somnos, MR41 and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit Well-Known Member

well said sir. a red tip is aggressive to me but not to others, but i use my #15 aristocrat and its fine for me..and its a known somewhat aggressive razor to some as well. go figure..

Somnos and MR41 like this.
  3. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Active Member

The post-war Gillette Tech IMO is the perfect combination of mild and efficient. It's mild enough for a newbie's first shave, and efficient enough to give me a stubble free 1 pass shave.
    I use Feather blades and 2 shims with mine, to give it extra efficiency; which doesn't make it even the least bit harsh. That being said, this morning I shaved a 3 day growth with a Mühle R41 Spitfire.
    unnamed-1.jpg

AGHisBBS, brit, Somnos and 2 others like this.
  4. Somnos

Somnos Member

Now I must ask if you use 2 shims in a Tech is it just a Tech by name? I too have a Muhle R41 and it is merciless on 3-4 days growth when I am not wanting to shave...2 passes and smooth as can be...

MR41 likes this.
  5. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Active Member

A Tech is still a Tech, no matter how many shims I use with it. The question you're really asking is - is it still a mild razor? And the answer is yes. With 2 shims added the Gillette Tech is still a mild razor, but is now efficient enough for an effective 1 pass shave. If I added 3 or 4 shims it would no longer be a mild razor, however there is a point of diminishing returns that comes into play, which makes that experiment pointless. As for the Mühle R41, mine is a 2013 model with an Aimsport Spitfire custom topcap. Only 1 pass is needed; 2 would be pointless and risky. I hope I have satisfactorily answered your question.

MR41, brit and Somnos like this.
  6. Somnos

Somnos Member

Certainly have. I have often thought about throwing a shim into one of my Techs just to see how it would work out. I normally use Kai Blades in my milder razors like my 56 Blue Tip and my Techs but I also like Feathers, just not a blade I normally use. If the Tech with a shim still stays mild and efficiency is increased I will certainly give that a go. Thank you Sir. My Muhle, also a 2013 is stock and beautiful in its efficiency as is...I am not messing with that one as it “wakes me up” a 1/4 way through the first stroke....

MR41 and brit like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Some more mild shavers.
    arist3a.jpg
    On the left a 40/41 Regent Tech/Aristocrat, in the middle a 46/47 Aristocrat, on the right a 47 Aristocrat.

How to tell the difference you need to look at the base plates.
    arist3b.jpg
    Left, middle, right same as above.

MR41 likes this.