Military Issue Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Ray Settanta, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Ray Settanta

Ray Settanta Well-Known Member

Military Shave Soap and DOT blades.jpg

I bought these items from a Military Surplus store over twenty years ago. They were represented to me as WWII military issue. Anyone have any knowledge of them?

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I haven't any backround info on these items but they look like great collectibles..:eatdrink020:

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Since they could both be bought at retail as well, the Military Surplus store can't say that for sure unless the packages have some sort of indication or they have proof they obtained them from the military.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

All I can add is that I shaved with a DOT this morning (it was not super pleasant). I'm guessing it's a '40s vintage blade, but could be '50s, I suppose. As far as military issue, my guess is that Gillette had the lock on that since they did a number of kits for the military. So, the blades at least would/should be Gillette-made. IIRC Lifebuoy and the Colgate could be the right era, but again, no way to prove military.

5. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Nice find, cool stuff.

6. Ray Settanta

Unfortunately, it was over twenty years ago that I bought them and the store is no longer in existence.

7. IAmTheJody

Gillette did have the bulk of military business but they weren't the only ones that sold under contract to the military. GEM and Clix are two others that come to mind. GEM had some soft-roll-case military sets very similar to the Gillette soft-roll-case military sets. Clix had plastic handle Tech-type razors in plastic hard cases.

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Thanks!

IAmTheJody likes this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

The Colgate box is definitely not WWII era. Its from the late 70's to 1990.

10. Ray Settanta

Thanks for the info.

11. GeneRector

GeneRector Active Member

:) Howdy! Anyone know what the standard issue shave soap or shaving kit was in WWII?
    Always, Gene

12. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

If I remember correctly (And Jody probably knows more than me) but most of the Gillette WWII issues were black techs which were basically just the razor, small mirror, and enough room for some blades, they didn't bother including soap tins like the WWI officers kits. I have heard of genuine kits having nickel plating and fat handled techs but not sure how common they were.

13. IAmTheJody

Pretty much spot on except for the mirror. They got cheap in WWII and unlike WWI, didn't provide a mirror. At least, not as part of the razor/blades/case anyway. The handles were either plastic or metal. Some of them had a black metal head-cap with a black metal guard while some of them had a black metal head-cap with a nickel-plated metal guard.

Neolithium likes this.
  14. Neolithium

I knew the master would set me straight! :)

15. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

lmao sorry Justin but thats an A list OoC

16. Neolithium

Bazinga. You win this round. ;)

awake2shave likes this.