Military rations?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by pvtbanks, Sep 2, 2017.

1. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Anybody here have an interest? I've recently became fascinated about rations from around the world. I didn't know if there was any others. I actually miss getting to eat MRE's!

RyX, wristwatchb and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Cheaper than Dirt sells them.

pvtbanks and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I use to like them when I was in marines. One day I would like to get some for emergency rations.

pvtbanks and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ive watched a YouTube video about this topic, pretty darn interesting.

pvtbanks likes this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I'm in! Here's my favorite ration. :)

1.jpg

RyX, jaxstraww, richgem and 2 others like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I haven't had MREs. It was C rations I cut my teeth on.

DesertTime, '65 G-Slim and pvtbanks like this.
  7. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

That's what my plan is. I'm trying to get some military buddies to send me some:bounce015:

8. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Ohhhh, good ole c rats, I don't know if that's something worth reminiscing over:happy102:

9. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I watch a guy on YouTube with the username of Steve1989. It's amazing the variation, and some of the quality items in rations in other parts of the world.

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The chocolate covered Gorilla Cookie (that's what the Marines I worked with called them) were excellent.

11. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I think the modern equivalent would be the chocolate covered oatmeal cookie and they were pretty good too. The fudge brownie is really good, it's like a really dense brownie with a nice powdering of preservatives!

RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yep, I recall both and now that you mention it, the choc. oatmeal bar is what they called the Gorilla Cookie. Was VERY good. I would have been happy to eat MREs every day, three meals a day...precisely because I didn't have to, according to the Marines.

13. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

I intentionally hoarded every MRE I could get my hands on, that way I didn't have to eat the awful DFAC food:happy102:

I really enjoyed MRE's, and I'd still eat them if they weren't 12$ a piece.

gorgo2 likes this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'd have to be pickier about it but yeah, I definitely would too. Maybe even in rotation, having to eat them for weeks got old but I can't imagine myself getting burned out on them.

17. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Did you have a favorite? I was always a brisket entree kinda guy. Everyone hated it, so I never had to fight for it either

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Mind you this was back no later than 1991 for me but I can recall guys HATING the omelet/scrambled eggs (can't recall which, omelet I think) and I always took it b/c they would throw it out. Made a heck of a sandwich. Also recall the big old ham slice...and I think some kind of beef stew. Dehydrated fruit. All I have left is several of those dark green matchbooks!

19. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

Beef stew is still on the menu, most don't even come with matches now, and the flameless heaters were garbage. I probably ate 1 or 2 warm MRE's the whole time I was in. But hey, brisket was a large congealed mass when cold, but awful when warm. It was like a gravy.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The omelet was dehydrated/rehydrated eggs of course, which is an acquired taste, but lucky for me I acquired that taste in boot camp. On board ship, we got 'em fried to order. But MREs were a novelty.

I'm sitting here in N.C. and my wife tells me stories she was told about how bad Charlotte (well inland) got hit worse than the coast did in a storm about 10 years ago or so. Too late to order in case Irma comes here but I'm really eyeballing a 12 pack of MREs on that website... upload_2017-9-2_17-52-4.gif