Milwaukee man burned by aftershave, plans to sue

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by qhsdoitall, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Pretty much exactly what happened to me, except there was no steam, the chicken was on a whole sheet pan (one of like.. 15 I was making at the time) and I missed my hand and hit my arm instead. Didn't drop a single wing! The extra 30 seconds of pouring oil was worth not losing any... :rofl

2. Sledge

Sledge New Member

the one thing i can say in mcdonalds defense... she was 76... at 76 your skin just isnt what it used to be... my grandma bruised just from holding her arm to help her out of the car... scalding to her is "too hot" for people younger than her... we come along to the same theory, if you buy a kitchen knife for $700 thats some wildly crazy sharp blade... and lop your finger off cutting cucumbers... do you sue the company and say it was "too sharp"? i find it hard to believe that the coffee was THAT hot... water only gets so hot before it evaporates, and while styrofoam does a great job of displacing heat, it is in no way retardant to it... im not saying the coffee wasnt hot, but the manufacturer of the coffee pot was to blame, not mcdonalds... and that manufacturer probably has coffee pots in a million other places in the country that arent putting people in the hospital... why? because they dont open a fresh cup of hot coffee between their legs in a moving car... they SAY they werent moving, but are you really going to go to your lawyer and say "yeah it was totally my fault, but can we sue anyways?" you know?

i dont want this to bring up a debate, i really dont... im sure there are plenty of variables that make mcdonalds wrong... but, unless it was poisoned... i really cant see the coffee being too hot as being cause for lawsuit... my grandpa always used to complain when we went out to carrows about how cold the coffee was... and when i had a cup poured for me out of the same pitcher, it was well beyond warm... most people like their coffee hot... when people make tea on a kettle on the stove, it boils and steams long before it whistles... try pouring that on your leg... lol

bottom line, as i said, i dont mean to contradict, but as a stated opinion, i think she was plain old careless... and saw a way to "get even".... you cant blame the maker of hot coffee any more than you can blame the manufacturer of a sharp knife, or the maker of an electric stove, or the electric company ("oh you put too many volts through my sockets and i fried myself sticking a fork in it") or any other potentially dangerous situation unless something MALFUNCTIONED... ive owned a lot of coffee pots, and ive used a great deal too... when they go out? they go out... they dont produce radioactive coffee... lol :rofl

3. Sledge

Sledge New Member

see? all these examples... and did anyone here go back and sue someone for it? no... why? because ultimately it was their own fauly... its called integrity

4. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Frankly age has NOTHING to do with this. If you poured 180 degree coffee onto yourself it will hurt and cause major damage regardless of age. Regardless of the fact that 180 degree coffee is undrinkable to anyone whether you like it hot or not.

Also you just can't simply assume someone is lying just to get money out of someone. People have slightly more integrity that, or at least they should.

Also finally, we did these things to ourselves in a complete different environment. Yeah it might have been her fault she spilled it but the article clearly states the overly high temp of the coffee and McDonald's decision to keep it that way. It is beyond dangerous to have liquid that is supposed to be consumed that hot, if anyone had tried to drink it right away they would have suffered severe internal burns. It was careless of McDonalds and dangerous to keep coffee that hot. Simple as that.

How we got this far off topic again is beyond me, so let's just end this here.

5. Sledge

Sledge New Member

your right... they should...

yes, mcdonalds probably shouldnt have it piping hot, but i think they do it so people who have to tote coffee places before drinking it still have hot coffee when it gets there... like construction workers... or commuting office workers... but thats beside the point. Yes they should tone it down, but i still do not think they deserve to be sued over it... one mass said "we want it hot" another mass says "we want it to cool down" they are going to choose the hot option because the cool option requires only that those who think it IS too hot, to wait a while... no big deal right? cant fix cold coffe... but you can fix hot coffee...

back to skin bracer... was he taking a bath in it or what? i know when i use AV it dries to the touch within a few minutes... he must have been soaking in that crap lol