Mirror fog

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Kenneth Sampson, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Kenneth Sampson

Kenneth Sampson Well-Known Member

I see a lot of people shave after a shower, and I used to and found it to be a better shave with a cartidge razor. It became a pain in the butt due to the mirror fogging up. How do y'all fight that? I shave before a shower 95% of the time.

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Bathroom exhaust fan...Basta!

mrchick, Carbide Mike and Matt0210 like this.
  3. Kenneth Sampson

Nah, I keep that running and it still figs decently well. I don't take extra hot showers either. I'm always hot and sweat stitting still, no need to add to it showering hah. I've heard some tales on ways to get it to fog less. Just interested in what other people do.

Primotenore and Carbide Mike like this.
  4. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Yeah the exhaust fan will keep it from fogging up. If not just buy a fogless mirror. They sell them everywhere and they're pretty cheap.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

A hair dryer will clear it up in no time.

BradleyD, Demidog and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Occasionally wipe it down with a little (not enough to cause cloudiness or distortion, very little) soap/shampoo/shaving cream. Viola very little fog will form...

Demidog and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Turn the heat down in the shower. I also cold water shave. No fog.

8. Str8 Shaver

Str8 Shaver Well-Known Member

simply wipe the mirror with Rain-X or some other anti fog product, every couple of weeks...

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Cold mirror + warm mist = fogged mirror. I have the same problem. Only solution is to heat the mirror by turning up the heat in the bathroom. Or cold shower.

10. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I just open the window if it fogs..

11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Yeah, I did the same as @americanshamrock mentioned. Lathered a little soap on my palms, rubbed it on the mirror, and wipe off with water.

12. Kenneth Sampson

I have heard of the shaving cream trick. I will have to try that.

simms623 likes this.
  13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I just spray on and wipe off RAIN-X interior glass anti fog. It's easy and helps keep the mirror clear for months at a time.:)

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It's possible that your fan is not actually removing the steam. Check the connection in the attic; clean the fan; they can really get gunked up. Get a stronger fan. If your mirrors are not staying clear, you have a ventilation problem that can lead to mold.

Kenneth Sampson likes this.
  15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I've always wondered the same thing myself. I've never used a bathroom where the mirrors didn't fog up in spite of the exhaust fan. I have tried the hairdryer trick and it works well, but it's too much of a nuisance especially when I am rushing. I still just shave before showering and apply the aftershave following my shower. I'll have to check out this Rain-X thing but I hope it's safe to use indoors. Hydrophobic sprays can do some bad internal damage if inhaled.

16. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

I just clean the mirror with shaving cream. Just wipe it off with a clean dry towel, no fog. One of these days I might try the Rain X.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Phone

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No kids in the house, so I shower with the door open - only get fog on the top quarter of the mirror. Doesn't hinder my view of the shave.
    When the kids were here, throw on the gym shorts after drying, open the door, wipe down the mirror with a towel. Never thought of it as a nuisance.

Kenneth Sampson likes this.
  18. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

I hang a hand towel over my mirror before shower. Occasionally I'll use a hair dryer on it too if a fog forms after i remove the towel.

mikewood and Kenneth Sampson like this.
  19. BradleyD

BradleyD Active Member

I have a little space heater I run and the mirror won't fog up. But like it was said before a hairdryer will take the fog right off. I don't like turning the exhaust fan on because I like it warm where I shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©