Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by IsaacRN, Aug 13, 2007.

1. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

How good is this soap. At 67 a piece, with the dish mind you is it worth it? And, does anyone know where to purchase this locally in NYC. Ive been calling around and cant seem to find it anywhere.

2. Will

Will Nevermind

The soap cost 20 dollars, the dish cost 40, I say just get the soap.

3. Will

Will Nevermind

I should add.

Only a ding bat would pay 40 dollars for a shave soap bowl.

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Be Careful what you say...i wanted to buy the dish...it looks pretty neat and ummm..throwback.

5. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Isaac, I've seen it in Cambridge Chemists. Its a very good performing soap, but the scent is nothing special and I do have soaps with special scents that perform as well. Check it out though. Just my opinion.

Jordan

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I was going to make a run up there today....but was afraid i would drop a couple of bills...so i barricaded myself in the house till i get paid :p

7. jnich67

jnich67 Member

:rofl:rofl:rofl

I know the feeling. They've moved by the way. They're now at 855 Lex. I'm not sure of that cross street.

I have to walk past Pasteur’s (sp?) a few times a month and sometimes I'll walk an extra block out of my way just to avoid temptation.

Jordan

8. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

ive been really wanting to get some Trumpers Limes Extract/coral Skin food for awhile....and there is a special on some internet site 500ml's for 45 bucks..but.....i dunno.thats alot.then icould go to Pasteurs and get the 100ml for like 25 or so....im just not wanting to spend alot of money..on this great habit.

Its funny...everyone states how we save so much money....not buying expensive cartridges.....but we end up spending more on soaps :p

9. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator

Shhhh... Gotta justify it somehow.

10. Hi All,
    Best place I know of for that stuff is www.carbolicsoap.com
    The refills run about 10 bucks, BUT, the nice dish AND refill is about 30 bucks. There's been forum members who have had good luck ordering from this company, although I'm not sure about shipping charges (based in England I think).
    Looks like there may be some sort of break on that if 65 bucks worth of things are ordered.
    Maybe something for a 'group buy'?
    Martin

11. Will

Will Nevermind

Here it comes, are you ready.

DING BAT! :rofl

12. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

ROFL......come on now...its a pretty kick ass dish..you have to admit it....Come On!!

13. Will

Will Nevermind

So is my 10 dollar shaving mug. OK if you want to put down 40 bucks on something that looks cool, go ahead. :D

14. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

BAH,

Well i guess its all relative i guess. SOme people spend a few hundred bucks for a razor...when it does just a good a job as the 10 dollar one. So my potentially 40 dollar dish...would do just as well as your 10 dollar mug.

On a side note......i bought a nice Hershey's chocolate branded bowl today.that has turned into a nice lather dish...ill post pictures later.

15. hyperwarp

hyperwarp New Member

The soap is not noted for it's scent. It's noteworthy for it's high, natural Lanolin content from the "Wool Fat". I love lanolin rich products on my skin & the MWF is super-rich in lanolin. Not sure, but Mitchell's products could well be the most "naturally" lanolin rich product on the planet.

Too me, it's definitely worth the price for such a luxurious product. If you have an allergic reaction to Lanolin then YMMV, definitely.

As far as the ceramic bowl goes, I have one & it's very nice piece. I myself would not have the nerve or temerity to advise you how to spend or not spend YOUR CASHOLA on a product. Especially since if you buy via the Carbolic Site, it ain't that much Dinero.

MWF is the only soap in my otherwise pure Cremola rotation.

Mitchell's has a nice line of Wool Fat products, including bath soap, body lotion, shampoo & bath/shower gel. On Sunday's, usually, I treat myself to the whole
    MWF experience all over my glorious nekkid body from head-to-toe and IT'S GREAT !!! Sure am glad I'm not allergic to Lanolin or I'd probably be pushing up the daisies.

Enjoy yourself, Isaac. You work hard, you certainly merit at least some of life's l'il luxuries...and MWF is a very affordable luxury....but hey that's just MHO

16. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Now heres the question.......how do i tell if im allergic to Lanolin. I would hate to spend money and find out im screwed on top of being a DING BAT

17. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :rofl

You can buy lotion that contains lanolin. I found a decent priced lanolin lotion at TJ Maxx.

18. Will

Will Nevermind

Well then you will have a cool dish.

19. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

TRUE THAT.....and i know youll wanna see pictures....

Im thinking its new brush time....not sure what to go for though.....im full of wants atm.

20. TstebinsB

TstebinsB Active Member

There's a store in the UK that sells the soap for $10. I've purchased from them. They don't respond to emails but they are fast shippers.

Personally, it's a very good option at $10. I will be buying more from The Old Apothecary soon. However, it's not decidedly better than Honeybee and QED soaps, my two favorite soapmakers. And having the one scent gets old quickly.