mixed boar & horse hair brushes.

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Kypros Christodoulides, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Kypros Christodoulides

Kypros Christodoulides Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I have a boar and a horse hair brushes. The horse hair is a little softer than the boar, but it tangles up if used in a circular motion. The boar is not bad but I wish it was a little softer on the face.
    What is the benefit of a mixed boar-horse hair brush?

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'm guessing you would get better backbone than a badger, but softer than a boar. Also been thinking of getting one myself.

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

How old is your boar and what is the brand? I have had both Omega and Semogue boars and they have both been softer than my silvertip after they were broke in. My boars took about a month of use prior to breaking in and they (well, it does, it being the Semogue, I never did tried it with the Omega but it was very similar) win the blindfolded "guess which is the silvertip and guess which is the pork" test.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. Kypros Christodoulides

My Vie-long horse hair is a few shaves old, (not more then 5) and the Omega boar is about 10 shaves in.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Give your boar a month dude. Set the horse down and use that boar and I betcha by the time the month is over it'll be as soft and maybe softer than any badger. Sure, they have different properties beyond soft tips, but when they break in they are hard to beat.

Not to mention the new synthetics....wanna talk about awesome. Inexpensive (great ones can be had shipped under $20), lather super well, have backbone, have give....they are crushing it right now IMO. But alas, they are plastic, and plastic is a big reason I got away from cartridges. That is their only drawback for me really....I realize you didn't ask about synthetics or for me to sing their praises, but I think they deserve a look since they perform so well in all the categories.

6. Kypros Christodoulides

I do like modern synthetics so much, I bought a Plisson and an Omega. I have nothing but praise for them.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    battle.munky likes this.
  7. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I recently received my new Semogue boar brush. Have not tried it yet. I did soak it a couple times in shampoo/conditioner. I've read that with use (a few months) the ends of the hairs will start to split and you get a very soft face feel but still have the stiffness of the bristle. Can't wait to try it.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Much truth.

PickledNorthern and battle.munky like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You are speaking the truth there. This Semogue boar is badger soft, in a serious way. It takes a while to get there, but a well broken in boar is a beautiful thing.

[​IMG]

I would give that Omega another good thirty shaves or so before I formed too much of an opinion about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

battle.munky and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. Kypros Christodoulides

I still have to break in my Omega boar after 10 shaves.

battle.munky and PickledNorthern like this.