Modern Machined Stainless Steel Adjustable Toggle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by blashe, Feb 25, 2018.

1. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Typed in Google today for modern adjustable razor and this popped up. From their FB page looks like they are making pieces at the CNC shop

https://www.janusrazors.com/

Tinmantoo, brit, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I don’t know what to say. If they really do nail it; it will be a smash hit.

brit likes this.
  3. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Interesting. Great post.
    Steve

brit likes this.
  4. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Hello Blagoja, good morning. This is the first mention I've heard about it. It looks very interesting. I would be willing to guess that due to it being Stainless Steel, and made in America, its going to be expensive

brit and Herm2502 like this.
  5. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Well they now have my email address :)

brit and Hodge like this.
  6. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Very nice. Being a big Toggle fan, I'll be eagerly awaiting more details. It would be nice if it were user serviceable.

Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

brit and RyX like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

That is quite ambitious project, I hope they succeed.

brit, preidy and RyX like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

This sounds like quite a razor. It would be a modern day toggle and a stainless steel one at that! I’m definitely interested.

brit and RyX like this.
  9. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Mine as well :D

brit and Dansco like this.
  10. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Im guessing the same thing too Alan, if I had to guess it might be as low as 300 but it can go as high as 600 considering the amount of pieces Gillette toggle has. I personally would never pay 600 for this type of razor

brit likes this.
  11. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Looking forward to it's trial introduction. Thanks for sharing!

brit likes this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very cool that they are working on a Toggle, but if sold at $600, I'd rather purchase an original and re-plate it in Rhodium.

brit and Herm2502 like this.
  13. jar

jar Well-Known Member

The Toggle was pretty much a failure the first time through. Never quite understood why anyone expects a new version to be more successful than the original.

brit, Enrico and jmudrick like this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011:

brit likes this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I think it's a case where a combination of its distinctiveness and its failure have made it something iconic... like the Edsel. Also, the market is very different today. Back in the day, Gillette was trying to appeal to a high-end segment of a very large audience. Today, the overall audience is much smaller but the high-end segment is a much larger percentage.

I just wish that they would update their website or social media more often. The last post on their Facebook page was from November and showed test pieces from their blade tray.

brit and Keithmax like this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It's not so much as the Gillette Toggle was a failure as most of the consumers at that time liked the TTO mechanism better. It did close the doors tighter than a Toggle, but Toggles did work, and TTO's were cheaper to produce. So Gillette took that option into consideration when discontinuing the Toggle. I'm sure this new design would address that problem considering the better quality of the metal and possibly a newer mechanism inside. But I'm also sure this won't be cheap either. So who knows as I haven't heard any more news about this razor in a few months.

brit, preidy, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I hope is isn’t like the resurrection of Wade and Butcher, a lot of excitement and anticipation followed but nothing. It doesn’t look like any updates in a long time.

brit likes this.
  18. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I would rather buy 60 vintage razors! Never understood the interest in the toggle, other than collectors who like low production razors.

brit, dscaver, jmudrick and 2 others like this.
  19. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Looks really nice. Pretty sure it will be well over 100 bucks which is beyond my comfort range. I hope they successfully manufacture them. I’m looking forward to some reviews here later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brit, preidy, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I like the unusual ... fortunately sometimes what makes them unusual is that there often over looked or judged as passé. I've own many of the "desirable razors" only to say "meh" to only turn around and sell them. The ones I've kept ... many may think funny, but it's my shave and I'll shave with what I like. :D

Drygulch, brit, preidy and 3 others like this.