Modern Machined Stainless Steel Adjustable Toggle

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by blashe, Feb 25, 2018.

1. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

Hugh Hefner & Elvis had a Style. The Cardassians, Dustin Diamond, Lindsay Lohan, etc.
    Up to each individual to choose their style.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

On the Mohs hardness scale brass measures about 3-4 and gold about 2.3-3. Stainless steel is in the 5-6.5 range depending on its composition. So, first you have a much harder and therefore wear-resistant metal, and second on the the Janus, there is no plating to wear off.

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  3. eddieb20842

eddieb20842 Active Member

Wear resistant...yes, but wear proof...no. Janus, in my estimation, did not solve the wear issue on the bottom lever just by changing the metal composition. His design is as flawed as the original in that with time the bottom lever will display wear marks too. Can we agree that metal rubbing on metal results in wear and tear? You may have a different opinion, and I respect that, but thinking that his lever design is flawless compared to the original is stretching it. At $525-$625 a pop, one should expect a flawless design.

Please keep in mind that I'm not looking to offend anyone, I'm only trying to present another point of view.

Keithmax, Dansco and RyX like this.
  4. kfbrady

I agree with you. That particular design flaw can be minimized but not totally eliminated. It could well be the reason that the Toggle had a very short production life before being superseded by the much improved Fatboy.

I suspect a stainless version will eventually show wear, but probably not in yours or my lifetimes.

5. eddieb20842

And I agree with you too! It's nice to be back to the Den after so many years away. More importantly, it's a pleasure to participate in a thread without being ridiculed, challenged in a bullying way, etc.
    So much to learn, so little time!!!

6. kfbrady

If I came across as ridiculing or challenging, then I sincerely apologize. That was not my intention.

I too am lucky enough to be able to afford any razor or car - well, a Bentley might be a challenge! - that I could want, and the only thing that matters is your own perception and value of it.

7. eddieb20842

Not at all. I appreciated your comments and found them informative. Take care!

8. RyX

RyX DoH! Staff Member

Thank you for engaging in pleasant conversation Gentleman. That's what makes TSD entertaining, informative, and stress free.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

A J.R. Richard rookie card.

John Ruschmeyer likes this.