Modern Made Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 7, 2019.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have limited experiences owning Modern Made Straight Razors.
    I have a few Chinese Gold Dollar, as well as the ZY razors. They both can be made to be very nice shaving instruments. But, what I want to talk about is anything made today, or within the past few years. Especially the Artisan made razors. Let's see some pics, as well as the pros and cons of each. It would be helpful if they were your own, or ones you've used or honed.

Hart Steel 1/4 Hollow JA
    Fine steel, and excellent sharpness. Great to shave with, but primitive looking, with both the steel and the scales. Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic razor, just not a work of art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

No Artisan straights of modern era, just a DOVO that’s quite worthwhile.

I actually do have a Damascus non hollow ground razor, but ever with my best honing and such, I would only use it if there was absolutely nothing else to cut with including my pocket knifes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billyfergie, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  3. DaltonGang

Pics??

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

Dovo:
    [​IMG]

Crazy Damascus with bone scales and leather case. Way too big unless you are shaving an Ox. I have a big head too. Not this big though.
    [​IMG]

My others are an old Dovo I bought about 20 years ago. Vintage Henckel and old Genco that was made, in Geneva, NY, which is about 40 minutes from my house. A town much more known for Finger Lakes wine than manufacturing these days but many blades were made there in the early 20th century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DaltonGang

I've seen many of those Damascus with bone scales advertised, for a price too good to be true. Were you able to get the thing "Shave Ready"??

6. DaltonGang

@champagneinhand , upon further examination of your photos, is my computer playing tricks on me, or is the edge on the Dovo chippy?? Have you used the Dovo much?? If so, how was it??

Edison Carter, Billyfergie and brit like this.