Modern razor like Gillette New Improved

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuxxdk, Nov 26, 2017.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hi my fellow shavers,

I thought I had it all down - enjoying my Rockwell and all. Until I tried my new Gillette New Improved...!

I used it for 4 consecutive days straight and got 4 BBS shaves... how about that for a razor I'm not confident with?!? Used my Rockwell on plate R4 today and was left with a less smooth experience and not as close as with the New Improved. What a meh-experience, compared. It was just as I was used to, but compared it was less stellar. Bummer.

So... since I'm not settling for anything less than the best I'm now on a quest for a modern razor that shaves like the New Improved. Looking for non-zamak razors.

I've tried a Fatip Piccolo - horrible, horrible shaver, for me. Most unpleasant thing I've ever tried. It seems to be one that compares in efficiency, and I have not doubt there - it's just very unpleasant to use for me. So that one's out. Then there's the Old Type copies - not impressed. Not very smooth, but quite efficient though.

Any ideas? :) Not really looking at price for starters, but I'm not looking at waiting two decades for a Wolfman, so... :D

robbiebelling and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. tuxxdk

Perhaps the R6 plate on a Rockwell would so well? Never tried it actually... :/

3. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

If you love the Gillette New Improved so much and got 4 BBS shaves in a row with a razor you say you're not even confident with .... then why look any further?

4. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I know you're probably not likely too try one but I found the Fatip Grande to be very good. The finish is poor and it's not the best looking razor but the shave I get from mine is very good indeed. It shaves me, like a champion. :)

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have what you want, the Gillette New Improved.

terstation and Herm2502 like this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Timeless razors

7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Same head as the Piccolo. Never understood the complaints about the finish. Incredible shaver,

8. tuxxdk

Point taken. I'm looking for a modern "equivalent" because I'm always afraid of breaking those fine old razors. It already have the mandatory crack in the handle.

Same head as the Piccolo. It tore me apart :(

I'm beginning to see that.. haha. If only I could find a, preferable, stainless steel modern one that I wouldn't be so afraid to break.. :/

BamaT likes this.
  9. tuxxdk

Happy you mention them.. I was searching for "that scalloped razor" that I couldn't remember the name of. :)

10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yup.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I love my New Improveds. Never tried the Fatip, but riding the cap seems to tame most harsh/aggressive razors.

tuxxdk likes this.
  12. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

"I'm looking for a modern "equivalent" because I'm always afraid of breaking those fine old razors. It alreadyhave the mandatory crack in the handle"

I'd buy a couple more Gillette New Improved razors as back ups .. just an idea. You seem to really love that razor so why not

tuxxdk likes this.
  13. tuxxdk

Thought has crossed my mind, but they are hard to come by, especially where I reside. Next to impossible. And yes, I'm quite fond of it :D

Jayaruh and LuvWetShavin like this.
  14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Weigh/measure the handle and search for a modern replacement. I'm sure there has to be one out there and then you'd be all set

15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Maybe get yours replated so it looks new and modern?

Herm

16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

West Coast Shaving has razors that use the same type of head as used on Gillette New razors. They come with different handles and two finishes, stainless and black coated.........

41TFMvtGz8L.jpg

Jim99, Knox, Troy M and 1 other person like this.
  17. tuxxdk

Not a bad idea. I'm more concerned with the crack than finish though. It looks quite shiny.

I'll take a good look at those. Thanks for hint!

Herm2502 and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. tuxxdk

Seems like the head is zamak? I could only find those at least.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. rabidus

rabidus Member

The Above the Tie R1 or R2 should be a modern New improved. It's stainless steel. It's not a razor that I would use, but it's designed is like the New Improved.

I had a R1 safety bar, the R2 is open comb.

TobyC likes this.
  20. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

He's looking for New Improved equivalent, not New equivalent, and those razors are based on the OLD type. Those heads are made by Pearl, and they are zinc alloy.