Modern vs Vintage - Straight Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by HolyRollah, Jul 21, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Per the thread by this title in the Safety Razor section, I thought it would be interesting to hear from you SR users who happen to use/have both vintage and modern SRs, what your preferences are, and why you'd choose one over the other. Me, personally, cannot speak to the benefits or advantages of the modern straight razor as my experience has been limited to razors that seem to be at least 50 years old….;)

Not looking for 'favorites,' necessarily—merely probing for insight as to what drives you SR shavers more towards the oldies or the modern makers. For me personally, my limited shaving budget steers me towards the older razors. :p

[​IMG]

lindyhopper66 and oscar11 like this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

It's a cop out but I like both. The only thing that has motivated to buy new straight razors is the hype that surrounds some of the new makers. I'm a history buff so I'm drawn to the older vintage razors. The "if they could only talk" what stories some might tell deal. My favorite vintage razor is an older Torrey or maybe a Spear. I do like the older frame backs and wedges too. New razor are easier, I don't have many. I'd go with my Wacker Inox or my 7/8 Friodur. My philosophy is changing, I'd rather have a 1/2 dozen really good razors than 75 and use them more frequently.

lindyhopper66 and HolyRollah like this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Location Location Location you hear this when talking Real Estate,

When talking Straight Razors it is Condition Condition Condition not so much of the scales or decoration as those can be easily replaced, but of the Steel and Geometry..

Honestly New razors have the advantage when it comes to condition but any new razor be it Production or Custom will be hard pressed to beat or even match a shave from a Quality NOS/Mint Vintage blade..
    Honestly there is nothing quite as disappointing to me as to have a New "Pretty" Custom razor cross my hones and me to find that the maker didn't bother to learn what is correct for geometry and bevel angles...
    Or to have a new production razor with plastic scales that are more fragile then 75 YO Dubl Duck Celluloid, or more warped the 80 YO Red Imp Scales, that is pretty disappointing :(

4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have a couple of straights one new and one vintage, although I seldom use them, a slim adjustable being my razor of choice. With that in mind I had a couple of thoughts.

The vintages had a very large variety of styles. It seems to me that the number of different products available is much greater in a vintage than in a new razor. I have looked at new razors and there just doesn't seem to be near the breath and scope of diversity that there was with the vintage razors. There is also the uniqueness of a vintage that can not be found in a new razor. A couple of weeks ago you got ANOTHER razor you had picked up from somewhere (can you tell I am jealous? ;)). I think it was a pre-war German razor. I remember it had the Star of David on it. How likely do you think it is that you would be able to find a current manufacturer that would produce something as unique as that? I don't think it is at all likely.

Then, there is the craftsmanship that is apparently gone from all mass manufacturing. Frankly, I think the steel is better in the older razors. Why? because they took their time to make sure it was good. The older razors had a PERSON, not a machine, making sure that the color was just perfect before it was quenched, or that the bevel was not just acceptable, but great.

So, that's my 2 cents worth - Pay up! :)

ObiDon, SRNewb, Bristle Me and 3 others like this.
  5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I much prefer the vintage over the modern. For one thing you get more bang for the buck and as Mark says, how else can you get variety except through vintage. As Glen says, there's nothing like a NOS vintage razor. I have several and the factory edge is always superb and shave ready.

The modern Dovo's bore me, but I hear from friends the Theirs-Issard razors with the Carbonsong steel is excellent. So instead of listening to him I just bought a vintage Theirs-Issard Le Dandy. Maybe some day I'll try the new T-I's. The new T-I's are very expensive for larger blades and the wash on the blades looks like decals.

Vintage Japanese blades are a tremendously good deal. Most people pay a lot of money for Filarmonicas ( I have a few) or C V Heljestrand MK's ( I have a few), but nothing can beat the vintage Japanese blades for fit, finish, steel, classic lines, balance and for holding a edge.

I love the German and American as well.

6. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I shave regularly with a new Dovo. This discussion could go both ways. I find that both vintage and new razors have their pros and cons. As long as i's sharp I'm happy.

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I've got to agree with Mark on this one.
    I don't own dozens of straight razors, but the vintage razors
    I do own are of good quality, are ground properly, and are relatively easy to hone.
    I hate to say it, but in the past 6-8 weeks or so I've seen two brand new Dovo 5/8 bests
    that were ground so poorly, the razor was ruined and could not be honed.
    (at least I could not hone them)
    I've been expecting the quality of new razors to fall off due to the uptick in demand,
    but I was really surprised when I seen how bad these two junkers were. I just don't see
    how these made it through Dovo's quality control at all.
    I'm not the Albert Einstein of straight razors and I certainly don't have many years of experience with them,
    but I'll recommend a Whipped Dog sight-unseen razor, or a used vintage razor from a restorer
    to anyone who asks me about a starter razor now.
    It's a real disappointment and I don't understand the idea of putting out junk for the sake of making more razors.
    I've always thought that I would be better off paying more, and maybe waiting longer, for anything that is
    of high quality. I guess others don't see it that way. :(

8. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

I don't own a modern straight. Vintage is just so much more fun. Shaving with a 100 yr old piece of steel that I've resurrected from a tarnished bread knife to a shiny, whisker wacker is just too cool of an experience to pass up.

9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I didn't want to spend a lot to try straights so I've only tried vintage. I've picked up all of mine in good condition for between $10 and $25 each. I'm not sure why I'd ever buy a new one.

BudWhite likes this.
  10. TSimons

TSimons not allowed near railroad tracks

I only own vintage, so I'm a little biased. I'd love to get a new straight to compare them, but something about the history of the vintage just calls to me. That and it's hard to beat old school craftsmanship

BudWhite likes this.
  11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Like others here, I only own vintage blades. The reason is the same as the OP's. I can only afford straights if I can buy them really cheap and fix them up. I also found by doing so that it's a heck of a lot of fun!
    And like some have alluded to, I think their was more craftsmanship in quality older blades. There is also the fact that, as far as I know, if I want American steel it's gotta be vintage.
    I've never owned a new straight. Won't say I never will, but I don't know if I could look at the steel with the same degree of confidence as I do the vintage stuff. With that in mind, even if I had the cash I'd probably look for a fully restored vintage blade instead.

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I used to feel the same way about vintage guitars as I did about vintage razors: craftsmen of old lived the craft, didn't cut corners and intrinsically, there was an aura about using something many decades old. I'm not opposed to trying modern straights, and may someday own one. But I'm quite content with the oldies I'm currently using and restoring.

btw: all my guitars are now modern, having sold off all my vintage to finance the custom building of the new ones…...:D

entropy1049 and SRNewb like this.
  13. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I build my own guitars now. I'm intimately familiar with their "craftsman".