Mole

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by rick, Feb 29, 2008.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

not the kind that dig up your yard and not the kind that has chocolate in it......

I'm looking for a good, tasty and "simple" recipe for Mole.
    Those who know what this is, please share.
    Those who dont.......
    watch and learn ;)

edited:
    Just found THIS

2. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

I'll be waiting in line :happy088

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Sounds and looks interesting, I'll be waiting for results! :happy023

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Mine is a secret family recipe sorry:D j/k

But I do love Mole great stuff!!!!!

Raf

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

I hear THAT all the time !! :mad:
    I am on a mission to make my own.
    Honest to God....there are a dozen Mexican restaurants within a 2 mile radius of me and NONE of them has any Mole.
    Nope.
    Thats wrong.....1 place does offer it but its lousy.
    Gonna do it myself.

6. Austin

Austin Member

Did someone say Mole? :love008

It's the only reason I go to Mexican weddings. They seem to serve it.

7. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Yeah... I make mole from time to time ;)

8. Austin

Austin Member

9. jramire2

jramire2 Member

Mole' (pronounce mo-lay) is difficult to find in restaraunts...well it's not that difficult to find, but good Mole' is difficult to find.

You can buy a Mole' base in most hispanic grocery stores (they're all over in TX, don't know where you're at). It usually comes in a glass jar and is almost solid and a very dark maroon color. Follow the directions on the base and add extra stuff to get it to your liking. The extra "stuff" that is put in mole' can range from spicy chili powder to sweet stuff like chocolate and peanut butter. It sounds nasty, but it's actually quite good, and is usually made by hispanic families around the holidays (that or Tamales, which some people stuff their tamales' w/mole' sauce) because it's very good w/poultry (chicken or turkey).

The absolute best way to make "real" mole' is to start from scratch, which takes a LOT of time, and a lot of lard/fat. I think the base at the store is like 20 grams of fat/serving.

Man....I miss my Grandmas cooking. The next time I see her is too far away (labor day).