Mongoose Owners Razor Society (MORS)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good stuff, thanks Joe. :happy088:

clint64 likes this.
  2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good photo, nice brush. What is the loft of your knot?

Halvor and clint64 like this.
  3. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Thanks! Quite enjoy the brush :) No calipers at hand but it seems to be 53-54. If I remember correctly it was spec'ed as 55? What about yours, you have one too(?)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

3:15am shaves come early. Grabbed the Mongoose for a quick one.
    Very smooth shave but I had a couple of weepers on my neck.

Route 66 Perfect Storm

B-400 Brush by Tom

Mongoose Razor

Feather Super Pro Blade

Lucky Tiger

Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber

Have a great day![​IMG]

5. Lith1um

Lith1um New Member

Hello, i have a question about different versions of stainless and aluminum versions of mongoose razor, how do they compare in terms of agressiveness ? and which batches\versions shave most similar if they can be divided to groups ?

Asking this, since we had a little discussion on other forum and i would like to clarify this moment.
    I know that there are 2 version of alumigoose (1 and 2 accordingly). And two SS mongoose: 1)version 1 in batch 1\2\3 and 2) version 2 with similar to alumigoose v2 design.

I thought that Mongoose version 2 in both stainless and aluminum shave close to each other (but differently not only due to wieght differencem but due different head geometry). But other user claimed that SS v2 shaves more like alumigoose v1 and not even close to alumigoose v2.
    And from i what i read before, i thought alumigoose v1 was very aggressive and was nothing like any other versions, so now im a little bit confused..

So if anyone used these versions, please compare them and explain the difference.

Thanks in advance.

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have a Batch 2 Mongoose and a V1 AlumiGoose. The V1 is much more aggressive. In my experience a full blade more aggressive. With a Feather Pro the AlumiGoose V1 is more aggressive than my Batch 2 Mongoose with a Feather Super Pro. Not sure if Mark @Boojum1 has the newer SS Mongoose. Maybe he can chime in.

Derbian, Lith1um and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Jim in Green Bay

Jim in Green Bay New Member

I have purchased, and am awaiting delivery of a Mongoose V1B2 satin finish (head only), and an Alumigoose V1 in black with a matching black round (not hexagonal) handle. I have received my Mongoose blade sampler pack from tryablade, and am thinking about what handles would best match each of these heads.

I would appreciate any suggestions for each head. It seems like both SS and titanium handles are popular on the Alumigoose. The photos of Stork Ti handles are stunningly beautiful. What length and weight handle works best on the SS Mongoose head?

Question # 2: since the SS V1B2 Mongoose head is reported to be more aggressive than the Alumigoose V1, which blades should I try first in each of these razors?

Thanks for your advice. I've learned a lot from reading this thread.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Timeless has some nice handles. http://timelessrazor.com/t/timeless-safety-razor-handles I like the TRH5 very much. Length and weight will be a personal choice in my opinion.
    TRH5 TimelessDimpledDesign.jpg

Hodge and clint64 like this.
  9. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

I have been lucky to have acquired a Mongoose B3 Satin Finish Razor. For some time I have been using Vintage SE/Injectors, and more recently some of the more modern offerings [ General,Claymore,Hawk & Single Edge] which I have enjoyed.

I have now used the Mongoose for 7 consecutive days, and apart from sustaining a Mega Cut due to my inattention,have had nothing but Smooth , Comfortable and Close all round Shaves. Today tempted by the Thick Slick lather from the Faena, I carried out more polishing up work than usual. I think I may have attained what may be regarded as a BBS/ Dolphin Smooth finish, not terms I normally use.

I have not yet tried the Feather Pro in this Razor, as in my Early Days of using AC blades discovered the Schick Proline Type P blade which seems to suit most Razors that I have used it in. Certainly works well with the Mongoose for me. Having discovered this Razor, I can see me using some of my Vintage SEs less and less, may even pass on a Streamline or Two:)

IMG_1436.jpg

Hodge, clint64, Lith1um and 1 other person like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor looks great.

clint64 likes this.
  11. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Well this has gone quiet! out with the old, etc, I suppose. While I never really got along with my SS version, and sold that off, I kept the black alumi and am getting top notch shaves coupled with a Feather Super Pro. Those blades, which I don't use in any other razor, transform the AG to one efficient and smooth razor. Very happy I kept it, and it really should get more credit.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Hodge and clint64 like this.
  12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Mitchell’s Wool Fat Soap
    B-400 Brush by Tom
    Mongoose Razor
    Feather Super Pro Blade
    Lucky Tiger
    Have fun![​IMG]

Hodge, Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

If I'm not using a Schick razor, my Mongoose B2 get the call most often. Loaded with the Schick blades (Japan) took it to the next level for me....

Douglas Carey and mrchick like this.
  14. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Awaiting the next round of SS MG 2's at Maggard…
    [​IMG]
    ...this started in reaction to one of Doug's pics of his Alumagoose on a Juergen Ti handle, my first foray into SE, more testing. ;-)

Hodge, Frijolero and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Can't wait until you review these blades.
    :happy088:

16. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Sayeth the Grand Enabler. Thank you again for the information offline Sir, my handle is en route as well...along with a couple others which caught my eye.:cool:

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

You will get years of enjoyment from those products Sean. :happy088:

Nicked likes this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

September 22 Plans

B2 Mongoose with Dr. Bomber handle
    Feather Super Professional (1)
    Kent BK4 Silvertip
    Le Père Lucien - unscented
    Alum, Thayers Lavender witch hazel, Trumper Coral Skin Food, and unrefined shea butter

I'm getting in under the SE wire this month with my Mongoose. This one is from Batch # 2, so I've had it for about four years. I plan to finish the month with it and likely continue into October. I've also got the larger Big Bomber handle if I want to add even more heft. I've always liked how it shaves and how it feels in my hand. The build quality is excellent, and I admire the simplicity of its design. Loaded with a Feather Super Professional blade, it should be a fun ride for the next few mornings.

[​IMG]

Hodge, Nicked, Number six and 3 others like this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding display of fine shaving products Charlie. :happy096:

wristwatchb and clint64 like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Hello Doug, and thanks for the kind words!

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.