Mongoose razor offerings

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It seems like Mongoose is really branching out - both in terms of finish - and material - of their original Mongoose SE razor but they are also now planning an OC SE razor.

If/when they come out with the OC SE razor I will get one. Hopefully in satin finish....

It makes me wonder if Mongoose is the next "Tradere" (not meaning that they will go out of business w/in two years! - but a company with products "I wish I had bought when they came out").

Some of their updated (current/future) offering:

OC SE in Gold finish:
    [​IMG]

Aluminum handle/head - The "AlumiGoose"
    [​IMG]

Rose Gold:
    [​IMG]

Chuck F, dscaver, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  2. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I'm on the wait list for a polished steel Mongoose. Guessing it will be a B3 by the time they get to me.

The Alumigoose should prove interesting when it gets released. The lower price point is probably going to make that one tough to get for a while...

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks, I'm going to see if there is a waiting list for the OC SE..if it will come out in satin finish :)

SDK likes this.
  4. SDK

SDK it's his fault

That will be a showpiece. I hope you get it soon. I have a custom handle and brush already picked out for mine. My 48th birthday present.

Please share pics and info on yours just as soon as you get your hands on it...

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I don't even know if/when it will be made! I can only hope.... :)

6. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

The AlumiGoose has me slightly interested. It would be cheaper and most likely mild , or at least milder. The kicker for me is the price of the blades.

SDK likes this.
  7. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Same here. I'm hoping that I get the reported 10 to 15 shaves per blade, or the Mongoose will wind up riding the shelf in my den :rolleyes:

8. BigMark

That would be 3-4 weeks for a blade since I prefer to shave very other day.

9. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Wow. Could you imagine 12 or 14 blades lasting you an entire year....

That alone might make the alumigoose worth checking out

BigMark likes this.
  10. BigMark

Yeah I thought about that. Head shave with the Goose huh?

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

They are only taking names for the regular Mongoose, either Polished or Satin finish at this time. They will announce the new versions as they come available on their Face Book group page. If you are at all interested, it might be a good idea to join their Face Book page.

As to the blades and the price, I really do not see that huge of a difference in prices relative to other SE blades. 200 Feather Pro blades on the bay are available for as little as $87 for 200.

They have said there will be a OC base plate available for those that already have the razor. I will be buying one as soon as they are open for orders.

wristwatchb and SDK like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Clint, thanks for the information on the OC baseplate. Is there a way other than being on FB to know when they are available?

photo.png

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    clint64 likes this.
  13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

They indicated that would post to the Face Book page. I'll post here when they open it for ordering. My friend Wade is holding out for the OC after trying my Goose out for 2 weeks.

Boojum1 and wristwatchb like this.
  14. wristwatchb

Thanks Clint. I sure appreciate it!

clint64 likes this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

No problem at all. I have noticed you haven't used your Goose since January. It's feeling neglected. ;)

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. wristwatchb

You're right! I also need to try the Sharp Dressed Man Stirling soap and Kai blades that you PIF'd to me. :happy088: As you know, I'm enjoying my Merkur 37C and Arko during April. Maybe I'll switch over to it next month - Mongoose MdC May! It would be easier to rotate through all my goodies if I could shave twice a day!

jakie55 and Hodge like this.
  17. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I can only compliment the mongoose masterminds for expanding their range of offerings to include a somewhat affordable option.

I'm curious to see how many clones will follow, and if mongoose is set up to meet the demand.

I'm watching from the sidelines on this one. I was lucky enough to try the batch 1 polished as well as the batch 2 satin, and neither of them impressed me more than the cobra classic. But I will add that I wish I could have tried the goose with the super blades. I heard it made for a better shave.

RaZorBurn123, clint64 and wristwatchb like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I have never tried a Cobra. I have found the Goose with the regular Feather or Kai Blades to shave alot like a Gillette NEW LC or ATT R2. I did use the Super blades for 2 daily shaves. No irritation, nicks or weepers but the shave was so close my face still had a tingly feeling 24 hours after the shave. I still have one more of the super blades to give another try at some point.

wristwatchb and JR Reyes like this.
  19. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

LOL...I know exactly what you mean about the tingly face feel.

I got that as well from a futur and my first shave with a straight. I didn't require a shave for 2 days.

clint64 likes this.
  20. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I use the Pro Super blades in my Mongoose and I can easily get 12 shaves out of each blade. I use the Pro in the Cobra and get the same number of shaves with it.

wristwatchb, SDK and clint64 like this.