Moon Soaps "Havana" Review: Part 2.1...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Primotenore, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This is part 2.1 of my review of Moon Soaps: Havana.
    IMG_9364.jpeg IMG_9363.jpeg
    I have decided to sub-divide these next parts into 2
    sections:
    2.1 DE Shave
    2.2 Straight Razor Shave

Today's tools:
    IMG_9365.jpeg
    2011 Mühle R41
    Aesop Stainless Steel Bowl
    Rubberset 400/3 (Omega Pro knot)
    Personna 74 Tungsten Blade (New)

Lathering method:
    Wetted Puck and soaked brush for 10 minutes.
    Heavy lather load, followed by a thorough bowl-lathering; stopping twice to clear the breach and add H2O.
    Results:
    IMG_9367.jpeg IMG_9370.jpeg IMG_9369.jpeg
    You'll notice right away that the lather lacks the sheen that was achieved with yesterday's palm-lathering. Here's a picture from yesterday:
    IMG_9360.jpeg
    Can this be solely attributed to bowl-lathering vs. palm-lathering? Not sure...as of now.
    There are still, if not more air bubbles in the bowl lather. This I can safely say is caused by the method. Whipping lather in a bowl will definitely add more O2 to the mix. It was my express intention to add more H2O than I did yesterday. This only served to thin out the lather, rather than create more sheen or slickness.
    I applied the lather to my face and waited 2 minutes. Results:
    IMG_9371.jpeg
    Signs of dissipating are clearly evident. Not as bad as some notorious soaps, but dense it is not.
    First conclusion: This soap may be better suited for face lathering and judicious addition of water.
    I rinsed and re-lathered.
    Deciding what razor and blade to use was a challenge. I didn't want to lob a softball and use a notoriously mild razor, such as my '41 Ranger Tech, so I through up the gauntlet and reached for the
    2011 R41. To compensate for the aggressive razor, I thought it only fair to choose a quality blade.
    Hence the Personna 74. Aggressive razor/smooth and sharp blade.
    Results:
    WTG Pass was very slick. No tugging and with only 24 hours of growth, the lather seemed to protect and facilitate a smooth pass. Rinse.
    XTG Pass was similar, no issues, even on my jaw-line, which can be tricky if the slickness is lacking. Rinse.
    ATG Pass is the real test of a lather's ability to protect and allow for glide. The Havana did very well; even allowing for buffing---the ultimate slickness challenge.
    Second conclusion: The slickness and cushion of this soap is very good and indeed well-above average.
    Final cold water rinse and as I feared, this is where this soap stumbles. Post-Shave feel.
    I have been purposely avoiding comparing this soap to other soaps. My intention being to judge this soap on its own merits, however, I cannot help but reference soaps that are known for their post-shave excellence. Two soaps come immediately to mind that are better in this category: Mystic Water and Mitchell's Wool Fat. It should come as no surprise that both of these soaps do not use Coconut Oil. In my 5 years of using shave soaps, I have learned to avoid products which contain Coconut Oil. Disclaimer: Your skin is not my skin. You may not experience the same results as I.
    The scent needs more elaborating.
    Once again from the website: "Tobacco and Bergamot, with middle notes of Vetiver, Spice, Musk, Warm Vanilla, and Aged Teakwood"
    I am admittedly not a strong reviewer of scents. With that in mind, let me say that the tobacco has a green, citrusy scent (Bergamot). If you are thinking Tabac, you would be wrong. Not similar at all.
    Definitely not a pipe-tobacco scent either. No hints of cavendish. I would call the scent "bright".
    If there is musk and vetiver, they are subtile. Scent strength was less strong than yesterday.
    Scent conclusion: Appealing and masculine. Savory, not sweet. Bright not earthy/damp. Not floral.
    Overall rating thus far: (out of 5 thumbs up)
    Packaging :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:
    Price Point :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:
    Scent :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:
    Slickness :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:
    Cushion :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:
    Post-Shave :happy088::happy088:
    End of part 2.1
    Thank you for reading.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  2. brit

brit in a box

Great review Joseph,watching along..

3. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank for your time and effort putting this review together. I think I'll try some of her soap. Not sure which one yet, but I will let you know. Thanks again Joseph.

brit, Frijolero and Primotenore like this.
  5. Primotenore

Article Team
    I would suggest the Old School Tallow. That's what I would buy.

brit, Frijolero and Douglas Carey like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Do you have a water softener?

7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Joseph.

Primotenore and Frijolero like this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    Yes, I have good water.

Frijolero and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I thought that was pretty amazing lather considering your location.
    I checked out her website and thought Old School Tallow looked interesting.
    Thanks for this review.

10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed review Primo!

Have seen this soap mentioned a few times and almost picked up a used tub of this scent a while back but decided on something else instead. Their formula and ingredients lead one to believe it has potential. Scent is always a YMmV thing but others opinions help out greatly when deciding upon a new soap.