Moon Soaps "Havana" Review: Part 2.2...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Primotenore, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Well, here we are, the moment you have all been waiting for. The final installment of my comprehensive review of Moon Soaps Havana.
    IMG_9374.jpeg
    As promised, today I used a straight razor to really test the slickness of this soap.
    My technique was the following:
    1) Ten minute brush soak
    2) No bloom, but wetted the soap before loading
    3) Face lather
    I like the consistency of this product. It loads very easily. Blooming is not necessary. I didn't have to add too much additional H2O to achieve a very creamy and, what would prove to be, slick lather.
    I left the first application on my beard, while I stropped my razor. Rinsed that off and re-applied.
    Plenty of soap in the breach of the Simpson.
    I want to emphasize the appealing nature of the scent of this soap. I give it :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:
    There is brightness in the tobacco/bergamot combination that, for lack of a better word, has an "astringent" quality. The should not be interpreted as "medicinal", but rather "herbaceous". I still do not get any vetiver nor musk. They're probably there and a more astute nose would most likely pick them up. Mine doesn't.
    The slickness gets :happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088::happy088:.
    My blade glided easily across my skin, never once dragging.
    So now we get down to brass tacks. How does my skin feel after rinsing :signs002:
    I give the post-shave feeling :happy088::happy088::happy088: It just could be better. Is it Gobi Desert arid? No. But it isn't a tropical rainforest either.

Moon Soaps Havana Pros:
    Great packaging
    Wonderful scent
    Very slick lather
    Excellent price point
    Quality ingredients

Cons:
    Post-shave feel is slightly drying

Final thoughts. This is obviously a quality product, created by a talented soap-maker. Her ingredients are top-shelf and I believe they are produced with care. In my personal opinion, I wish that the Havana would lose the Coconut Oil in lieu of something else. Perhaps make their in-house rendered tallow the FIRST ingredient (after water)---as it is with their "Old School Tallow" soap.
    I am not a soap-maker, so my opinion is just that, an opinion. I am however not the only shaver I know that places a strong importance on the post-shave feel and has issues with coconut oil.
    I want to thank Moon Soaps for sending me the soap to review. I sincerely wish them success in the future. This is a company I will continue to keep my eye on.

Thank you for reading.

McCrae, Trigger, Paul Turner and 14 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Excellent review, Joseph! Perhaps you should do this for a living!

3. Primotenore

Article Team
    I appreciate the compliment, Perry. Matt writes better reviews than I do.

4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

@Primotenore , excellent review. Thank you for taking the time to test and write and post the photos in part one and thanks for doing an in-depth review.

5. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review, I usually buy my soaps based on reviews I read in this forum and I have yet to be disappointed on my purchases.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Oh, Fuzzy @wchnu is gonna have a field day with that! :happy102:

Seriously though. Thank you for the excellent reviews.

Trigger, Keithmax and Primotenore like this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    My pleasure.
    Fuzzy will agree with me for once.

Trigger, Keithmax and Frijolero like this.
  8. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thank you fellows. I appreciate the feedback.

Trigger and Frijolero like this.
  9. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Awesome reviews and I now feel comfortable pulling the trigger on their Old School soap to start. I’m hoping all of the positive characteristics will be there with the added plus of a good post shave feel. I’m psyched to put my order in. Thanks for your excellent write ups to fuel my SSAD.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It happens!

Frijolero and brit like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Blooming is never necessary...or blade flipping...or shimming...or bowl lathering....

Frijolero, RyX and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

excellent review sir..

Trigger, Primotenore and Frijolero like this.
  13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Agreed...great review! I also use our forums to help decide on products to buy, or as in the case here, not to buy. All of the gang here are truly what I would call super reviewers! Thanks to all!