Moose Chili, Stilton Tarts and Port

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by PhilNH5, Dec 12, 2010.

1. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

Cold, rainy and miserable around these parts. Lots of icey roads this morning with dozens and dozens of fender benders. We stayed put and hunkered down. Both wood stoves going in case we lost power. But the weather warmed up to stop the icing. Whew.

My future son in law (Fusil for short) bagged a moose a few weeks back. He gave us a bunch. I ground some up and use in place of ground beef. Today I used it to make a pot of chili. I cooked it on the wood cookstove and let it simmer for a few hours. The whole house smelled wonderful. It was delicious.

For desert I made stilton cheese and cranberry tarts. This was my first pass at making them. I used a little to much custard (egg and cream) to cheese. So they didn't have a full flavor.
    But I served them warm with a 10 year old port wine. It is a classic combination and was really good.

We had the lights off and the Christmas tree lit plus candles on the table and Christmas music on the stereo. A great ending to a good meal.

I have to make another practice run of the tarts. i am serving them for Christmas and I have to get it right.

But port makes me a little giddy and I was banished from the table for being goofy. So here I sit reading TSD. As far as I am concerned the night just got better.

Phil

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I have had the port and like it very much. Perhaps some day I will try some moose. Stilton is a very nice cheese too.

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Sounds like good food, good drink, good times.

Enjoy!

4. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Ha! You were drinking a 10 year old port, then sent 'to your room', and the night got better? Damn....what a strange twist

5. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

Overhere we have a large supermarket that has Stilton cheese with a bottle of port wine top-down into it. After the port has seeped into the cheese, it is sold by the piece!

We have bought about a quarter of a cheese and enjoy it very, very much with a nice 10 year old Tawny at the side!

6. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

didn't know people ate moose.

7. PhilNH5

PhilNH5 Member

Rene,
    Port soaked stilton. Now that sounds good.
    Mynorx,
    this is the first I've had moose. Consider myself lucky. They have a lottery for a limited number of permits. My future son in law got lucky and snagged a permit and then a moose. The lottery is big time. Applicants from almos all 50 states.
    JoeMal,
    I wasn't banished to my room. Just from the table. I sat by the fire in the living room browsing TSD.

Phil