Morbid topic- what to do with your shave crap when you are gone

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Drygulch, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So my wife and I have been doing some estate planning. One question she asked is what would she do with my 100 plus razors and other shave stuff if I'm gone. (She didn't use the word stuff, but you get the idea.) I don't want her to list it on Craigslist and sell it for a few hundred dollars, and know she wouldn't want to research and sell it off piece by piece. She picked a name of my Facebook that posted stuff about razors, and said, could I ask him? That's the plan at the moment anyways. Anyone doing anything else to regime hoternrazors after they are gone?

Spyder, Keithmax and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

For now, the plan will be to give it all to my son to do with as he pleases. If he doesn't show any interest in it, my guess is my wife will take it all to goodwill.

Spyder, Keithmax and Drygulch like this.
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I showed my wife my pen case that has the bulk of my collection, and asked her what she thought it was worth. She said she would ask $500 for it. The joke about "please don't let my wife sell my razors for what I told her I paid for them" applies here.
    IMG_6723.jpg

JazzDoc, 178-bplatoon, Spyder and 6 others like this.
  4. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I have two sons both wet shave. If I live long enough maybe a grandson.

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    No plans. I have set up my son with gear, but his interest doesn't match mine. (What a surprise!). I will however give him some pricing suggestions, so that he has a starting point. Or, I divest myself of 99% of my gear and then the subject will be moot.

Spyder, Keithmax and Drygulch like this.
  6. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Probably tell her to post it on TSD.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's not unusual for people to want to have their affairs in order once they are gone. My youngest son gets all of my shaving gear, with instructions to leave my grandson (his son) my birth year razors and the amazing brush I got from @twhite

BigMark83, Spyder, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

PM sent

9. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I would have my wife ask for help from a trusted member of this forum. Maybe I need to have a talk with her as well.

Spyder, Keithmax, Zykris and 4 others like this.
  10. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I wish I would have thought of that.

11. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I think I like the idea of divestment and passing on only the most special items which I truly loved to my son. He's due to be born early next week, so I've got a few years until he decides if he likes straights or not....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOOT, Spyder, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  12. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

:signs011: That's the plan for me as well.

Spyder, Zykris and Drygulch like this.
  13. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Not gonna lie, Brian. She picked your name from my FB list. Was going to message you, but since you brought it up.

LOOT, Spyder, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

In the event of an untimely demise, my son gets it all, and I should probably arrange for him to sell it here, perhaps with the help of an agreeable member.

When I get older, unless my son shows more interest, I plan to set aside a few pieces for kids/grandkids etc, and I will sell the rest. I have recently helped pack up/clean up/give away/divvy up my mother's stuff, and I do not want to give my kids the same responsibility: picking through stuff they have little or no interest in, too valuable to give away and not valuable enough for the headache of researching how to sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder, Keithmax, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I recall sometime in the not too distant past, one of our members (who is no longer active) posted that he had willed his collection to TSD.

I have no plan but, if TSD still exists when I kick the bucket, I might suggest to the Mrs. that she donate it for fund raising raffles or request that some nice member help her sell it for a small fee.

Spyder, COMPNOR, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I will be dead, soooo I probably won't care. But, just for yucks, I will let the kids divvy it up. I will try to price them out, so if the kids aren't worthy, the wife can try to sell them for what they are worth.

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  17. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Neither son as of yet has an interest, but I'll leave it to them and they can figure it out. Any birth year stuff I acquire will go to the oldest. Hopefully I may wind up with a male grandchild or two which means the boys are SOL. :D

Spyder, Keithmax and GarnerPW like this.
  18. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I'll be gone, so I won't care. Right now my hope is that my wife, or whoever is around if she is already gone, gets it all to someone who will use and appreciate it.

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have two sons, not as excited about shaving equipment as I, but getting there. I told them they would be getting my razors, but I'm staying at about 20 to 25 razors, so not a crazy amount.

Spyder, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about my collection of musical instruments really. It's a good question ... I hope it is still far away for me, but it would be worth to put something on paper.

Since the more expensive ones are insured, there will be little doubt about the value.

JazzDoc, Spyder and Keithmax like this.