MORE Blades

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by redmed, Jul 16, 2019.

1. redmed

redmed Member

I have been using two SuperSpeed's with about 10 of each of the following blades:

Personna Blue = Very sharp 1st shave. I use these to only shave my face & neck for the first shave. After shaving my face the second time I use these to shave both my face and head. I can get many comfortable shaves. Some blades have lasted for 20+ shaves. This is my favorite blade due to the comfort and closeness after the first shave and the number of shaves I can get out of a blade.
    Astra Superior Platinum = This blade is very close to the shave I get with the Personna Blue but I can shave both face & head with the 1st shave. This blade does not last as long as the Personna Blue maybe 6 shaves. But I do enjoy this blade due to the comfort and closeness right out of the box and it is a close second.

Voskhod = Does not seem to be as sharp as the others. I can only get 2-3 shaves and do not enjoy shaving with this blade.

With the above in mind what blades should I try next? I plan to get a sample pack. What blades should I include in the sample pack?

Are other blades made from the same Personna factory?

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Tough call. There's a reason TSD doesn't have a Blade Discussion Forum. It usually devolves into YMMV. I do enjoy all three blades you listed but I'd rank them Astra S P > Voskhod > Personna. I like Personna Med Prep which is pretty much a Lab Blue, and a little better than a Red. They could all be off the same machines for all I know. Feather High Stainless and Kai are generally accepted as The Sharpest but that's only for the 1st use. I do get plenty of shaves from those two, yet I know a guy who's beard dulls a Feather to unusable in just one shave.

If you are shopping sample packs I'd suggest getting at least 5 blade tucks, not singles. Those five blades used consecutively ought to let you know if they agree with you. Blades you dislike today? A year from now when your technique has settled into a routine just might work much better.

3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I don’t follow the details of this hobby so I don’t know what is made where. Try these
    04B89C3E-2DED-4115-B61A-DB5FBA6B29CB.jpeg

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and brit like this.
  4. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

Personna Lab Blue is also one of my favourites. Try the German Wilkinson Sword Classic blade, BiC Chrome Platinum, Rapira Swedish Supersteel, and Personna Crystal

5. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Give yourself a challenge and go for some Derby Greens :)

6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Original Wilkinson Sword blades, NOT the saloon packs. When Gillette got involved, the sharpness suffered greatly, IMHO.
    Also, may I suggest rapira as well as Gillette Silver Blue?

RyX likes this.
  7. redmed

redmed Member

I thought Derby's where mild blades?

8. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

That's the challenge!

Tommynick likes this.
  9. DiggaDog

DiggaDog Active Member

I'm in the Lab blue, Feather, Kai camp normally, but also enjoy any of the Gillette ST.P blades.
    Greens, Yellows, GSB, Platinum, Minora, Rubie, Nacet, etc.
    I think you would like any of them. Nacets and Rubies probably are good for a start.

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

The original Wilkinson Swords were German made. That's what my father used until they were no longer available. These Saloon pack are made in India.

Lancre, Frijolero and brit like this.
  11. redmed

redmed Member

Gillette ST.P = Gillette Super Thins?

RyX likes this.
  12. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

They are still available, at least for purchase. They may no longer be produced, but I can still find them for sale locally at 3 or 4 different independent grocers.
    While both are sharp, I do notice the original Wilkinson Sword ones are smoother the the saloon packs. I also think they may be a bit longer lasting, but I have no scientific data to base that on, other than just my personal opinion.

RyX likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

original wilkinsons available at drug /grocery stores here..

RyX likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Place of manufacture. Russian blades made in either Moscow, or Saint Petersburg. There's a whole bunch of info HERE.

DiggaDog and brit like this.
  15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Get yourself some Bic's! Probably my most favorite blade, Feather being a close second, and GSB the third.

I use other blades, but these three I like best. Voskhod are great, I bought about 2500 of then a few years ago, but gave a bunch away.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0022RB080/?tag=thshde-20

brit likes this.
  16. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

Blades I would recommend
    Gillette nacet
    Gillette 7 O clock sharp edge yellow box
    Sputnik
    Permasharp
    Personna red pack
    Lord platinum
    These all work for me, with the permasharp and nacet being my most used.

TommyCarioca, DiggaDog and brit like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Agree with you about Voskhod. Never cared for them. Astra stainless are an overall well balanced blade but I have a soft spot for several of the Lord labels.

Mike-R41 and brit like this.
  18. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

I had a fantastic set of shaves with a Lord Platinum blade last week. I’m gonna break a new one out again tomorrow to see if it’s as nice as before. Had a sword on the box too. Related to Wilkinson?

Shaved better than the Astra SP this week. And I like Astras.

brit likes this.
  19. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

The second round of shaves with the Lord Platinum wasn’t quite as good, but still fine. I gotta lotta mileage out of a 7 O’clock black too. 6 shaves maybe? Which is long for me.

I’m shaving with a Personna Blue this week for the first time. First shave was tougher than anticipated. Second was better. Third time the charm today?

brit likes this.
  20. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I thought the originals were made in England? Not now, I realize. The German and English Wilkies are among my favorites.

RyX and brit like this.