More than one razor?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Frank Shaves, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Frank Shaves

Frank Shaves Well-Known Member

Some thoughtful replies thanks! I went through a momentary lapse of reason there thinking of collecting vintage razors...hahaha! I didn't win the 1962 Gillette slim adjustable sadly. It went up to double what I was willing to pay for it. I've decided to stay away from adjustable razors for the time being anyway.

I think if I find the right combination of razor, blade and cream/soap I'll be happy and not need to obtain more razors than the ones I have on the way including the Wilkinson Sword Classic/Weishi long handle I am currently using as my learning razor. I do enjoy shaving now much more using a DE razor rather than the disposable plastic razors I used for 45 years or so. I have way less if any neck irritation and the shave is much better in terms of closeness. Right now one thing I am learning from the wonderful shaving veterans on this forum is it's the technique that counts and not so much the razor and soap combo. Once I have that dialed in correctly I'll try my other razors out (and other shave creams) and rotate through them every month or so.

For now it's the Wilkinson Sword razor, Barbasol and a splash of Mennen's Skin Bracer. Next month I'll try the Proraso shave cream. I can pick that up at the local drug store. I did receive this in the mail though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Edison Carter, Shaver X and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

that's how it starts..;)..was at 80+ but passed some along.now around 50..95% gillettes..

Frank Shaves likes this.
  3. Frank Shaves

I took a picture of what I started with as a reminder. :eatdrink013:

[​IMG]

Edison Carter, Shaver X and brit like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

very cool..a day in history..:)..it will become"remember when"..

Frank Shaves and Shaver X like this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I think that is a good question, not a dumb one. I have three razors, a Gillette Slim adjustable, an Edwin Jagger DE89L and a Gillette Heritage. So one razor, one backup, and the Heritage because it came in a handy travel case. I used to use the DE89 most of the time. Then I tried Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus and Gillette Platinum blades in the Slim. The shaves were the best ever, so I have used mostly the Slim for the past two years. I don't do rotations, with razors or anything else, because I don't see any point in doing so. I use a razor and blade to get a close, comfortable shave at an affordable price, and for no other reason.

It is also a collecting thing for many active wetshaving forum members, although probably not for most wetshavers worldwide. Some forum members have themed collections, others simply go with a large quantity of various items. There isn't any one right way or wrong way, just your way, whatever that may be.

Frank Shaves, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  6. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

For starters not a dumb question. Do I own more than one? Yes many more. Why? Good question to which I don't really have an answer other than I wanted to try different things. I have vintage DE vintage SE razors, modern DE razors, and modern SE razors.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

7. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

If you enjoy history or have fond memories of father or Grandpa shaving you might collect some razors for those memories. I enjoy shaving because I have the time now and there is lots of different types (DE,SE, Straights and Shavettes, 3D printed). Started with cartridge and then bought a Gillette slim and bought new and vintage since then. On Ebay you can buy razor lots so you can accumulate a lot in no time if willing to clean them. I have 40 + razors in a sort of rotation & enjoy them a lot. If you keep them out of site out of mind you will not use them so I make sure they are racked and in eye site so they get used. One thing I can say I can pick up almost razor or brand and get a easy decent shave and that is one of the benefits of having so many. Antique stores I think you get some great deals and keeps your costs down if you like Vintage razors. I really enjoy Gem, Schick injectors, some Gillettes and some Razorock razors.
    Razor racks.jpg
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  8. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I do collect razors, but mostly vintage razors that I find in the wild. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I enjoy the engineering, the aesthetic, the fact that something that precedes me in age still functions as well as (to my mind often more efficiently than) many modern versions. I use most of what I have. I'm at 50 or so, and try to get through them all every year as the mood strikes me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

9. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Do I own.more than one? You bet! Am I a collector? Nope. If you want, you can see shaving as a daily chore, I choose to view it as an indulgence. Therefore I have a handful of razors, soaps, brushes and aftershaves. This allows me to suit my moods, and adapt my tools to my skin as it changes day to day. Changing razors is just one of many choices I may make to transform my shave into a daily source of pleasure and indulge in a few sensual meditative moments each morning.

10. Soap Thing

Soap Thing New Member

I have more than two dozen vintage Gillette’s. I just kinda stumble onto some of them in antique stores, or I’ll find one on Etsy or eBay that I can’t live without. I have attention deficit oooh shiny disorder real bad, so that has a lot to do with it.

As far as why keep them? I have no idea.. maybe it has something to do with the fact that it will sit there and collect dust or (god forbid) go in the trash can to die. Besides, shaving with a vintage razor is like driving a 1970 Olds 442 to work every day, there’s upkeep and maintenance involved, and that helps occupy time.

Plus you looks good doin it just sayin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I begun DE shaving at the end of 2012. For a half year I owned only one single razor. Then I went down the rabbit hole and begun testing razors. I ended up getting about 30 razors. Some where slightly better than other, but finally I found one razor I like better than all the other I had tried. There my journey ended and now I am back to shaving with only one razor. So yes, one single razor would be good enough for me.

12. Frank Shaves

This is kind of how I think it's going to work for me but i doubt i will ever get 30 razors. I right now have just 3 in rotation and I like them all for different reasons. The Wilkinson Sword/Weishi butterfly razor I own is nice and mild. I just used it today. It's one that's very easy to "let the razor do all the work" with. My vintage Gillette tech I just got is slightly less mild than the Wilkinson but I love it's size, weight and I am able to control it nicely. It's a toss up between it and the Wilkinson but I think the Gillette may become my everyday razor. The razor I picked up from the Dollar Tree is cheap but actually works and it much more aggressive than the other two. Now that I am getting my technique down I am finding it easier to use any of these razors on a daily basis if I need to. I also have two more Gillette techs and a 1955 Gillette speed razor coming in the mail soon. The speed razor needs a good cleaning but it was only $8.
    :eatdrink013:

13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Just counted. I have 25 razors, about equal numbers of straights and DE's. I have had many more over the years, but, like everything else in my den, they come and go. DE RAD has long since abated. I bought a Wolfman in September and sold it. The hype is ridiculous vis-a-vis the price. Luckily, I was able to recoup all of my investment and I don't miss it at all. At one time, I have a huge vintage Gillette collection. Most of that is also gone. Don't miss them either. Lately, I have been bitten by the Frag Bug. This is, after all, what gets everyones attention. ;)

Herm2502, Droo78, canoeroller and 4 others like this.